Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonet Identification

Guest rroeyc

Hello all,

I was hoping someone could tell me the year/model and possibly the value of this bayonet. It is made by Weyersberg Kirschbaum&Co Solingen and stamped as such, the stamp on the blade is a shield and 3 overlapping circles. The stamp on the scabbard button is: g4135. From what I have found, I believe it is from 1871. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers post-76938-0-14615800-1312473778.jpgpost-76938-0-51995300-1312474221.jpg

No expert on German blades (or any blades for that matter) but it looks M95 Mauser bayonet, possibly Chillean?

Sure S>S will know better when he gets on later. Nice looking bayonet tho :thumbsup:

Sure someone once told me that the 3 circles on these types had something to do with Krupps but again dont quote me on that.

Thanks for the quick responses! I thought it may possibly be Chilean as well, judging by a similar one I saw online. I didn't realize it had the Japanese stamp though and am not sure what to make of that.

I hate Mauser bayonets, so many variations it gives me a headache :P . But yeah Id say it was a Model 1895, the muzzle ring is lower in a 1912 model. Lots of countries used the 1895 Mauser might be another South American country.

Its not a Japanese stamp, Its Krupp steels stamp, Their symbol is 3 overlapping rings.

The Japanese stamp is 4 circles, its supposed to look like stacked cannon balls.

here is the Kokura Stamp

bayo_mark1.jpg

Gaz

Come o guys! Look at the height of that muzzle ring! I'll leave it to S>S to clarify...!

Trajan

PS: Gaz, you hate Mauser or just German bayonets? Well, anytime you want to make an old man happy - send me that nice quillback you found in Cardiff!

Trajan,

help me out here mate, what did I miss this time? :unsure:

Cheers,

Aleck

:) I hate the fact there are so many variations of Mauser bayonets, Just about ever South American country used them not to mention most of eastern Europe. I need to read up on them as I have a real hard time telling what from what.

Gaz

Trajan, help me out here mate, what did I miss this time? :unsure: Cheers, Aleck

Not certain if anything yet - I saw Gaz's comment re: Mausers just before retiring with my hot cocoa (not!), and I haven't had a chance to look any further. But, a valuable lesson I learnt while looking at various Mannlicher 1895's and how to identify different countries of use was to look at the height of the muzzle ring as well as its diameter, and then the mortice fitting, which will lead to the rifle and - inshallah! - the country. BTW Gaz, I do know what you mean about Mauser variations for SAmerican countries, and agree! And I guess you ain't going to make an old happy with that quillback???!!!

Trajan

Hello all,

I was hoping someone could tell me the year/model and possibly the value of this bayonet. It is made by Weyersberg Kirschbaum&Co Solingen and stamped as such, the stamp on the blade is a shield and 3 overlapping circles. The stamp on the scabbard button is: g4135. From what I have found, I believe it is from 1871. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers post-76938-0-14615800-1312473778.jpgpost-76938-0-51995300-1312474221.jpg

OK, let's see what we can do with this... But these are just tentative thoughts! It does seem to have the same high muzzle ring as the Turkish 1903, and so presumably for a Mauser-type rifle with a fitting comparable to the Turkish Mauser 1887. The scabbard could well be Turkish - the frog-stud matches other Turkish examples. BUT, I think the Turkish 1903 has a straight edge between pommel and handle, and yours has a sloping edge. Also, I think the Turkish 1903 had a less well defined separation line between the fullers and the top of the cutting edge. Finally, serial numbers on a Turkish 1903 would be in Persian form, not Latin form as here - ok, Turkey adopted the Latin alphabet and numbers in the late 1920's, but then if this was around at that time I would expect this bayonet to have the ASFA mark for the Turkish arms factory.

No idea as to the marks. If it is a WK and Co., then why would there be a Krupps mark on it?

More to follow...!!!

Trajan

PS:forgot to say - a nice bayonet, whatever it is!

OK, having eliminated a Turkish M1903, now let's look a Mauser 1895's - and bingo, it matches what G****e comes up with! Unless it is a Mauser 1893 for Spain, but those had leather scabbards... And they had Spanish marks on the ricasso, not a Weyersburg or other stamp... So we go with Chilean mauser 1895 - and bingo again, thanks to G****e and on https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=357&idcategory=6 what do we find? an (allegedly) Chilean Mauser 1895 with ricasso markings like yours - and one next to that even seems to have a G serial! (I say 'allegedly' because they don't give any further information!) So, all credit to YOU for finding that out for yourself - it may have been Chilean - and also to Sawdoc and Gaz for comments along the way. It's all a matter of persistence really! And we learn and learn - if nothing else, now I know what a Chilean 1895 looks like!

No clue as to actual date of manufacture - except presumably between 1895-1914. There will be somebody 'out there' though who can probably fill you in with that data.

Cheers! Trajan

Ok. just looked at Kiesling 'Bayonets of the World: complete edition (2009)', and there it is, p.93, no. 1052, Mauser 1895. It says - 'ricasso struck with the Chilean crest (a five pointed star)' - and that one is also a Weyersburg, but it says nowt about the 'balls'!

Others on this thread have already got this as Chilean one - but I add an appeal! What is lacking in our bayonet fraternity is a sense of (dare I say it?) academic discipline. What I mean by that is that it will help all of our fraternity if we back up statements on the thread that others can check. It would have helped our questioner and others if - when considering if this was a Chilean 1895 - somebody would have pointed to a published reference :thumbsup:

best wishes to all,

Trajan

If the bayonet is marked with the Krupp stee mark, its probably made from it. Which given the German maker would make sense. Though seeing as German supplied most of Central America and Eastern Europe it could be from anywhere, the Chilean seem to be most common, I was offered one today by a friend.

Good point Trajan, sadly I don't own any books an bayonets, I learn as I am going and retain what I learn. Im still petty new at all this.

Sadly mate, it took me a quite a while to track down a S98 I could afford, if I find another at a nice price. I'll let you know.

Gaz

Yup, its a Chilean M1895 made by WKC in Solingen. The easiest way to identify these is to look at the symbols stamped on the ricasso.

Normally they are marked more clearly, but the symbol to the left hand side is the Chilean crest which contains a large five-pointed star.

I'm not exactly certain why the Krupp symbol is also on there, but thats what it is. On the later Chilean M1912 bayonets it just has the crest.

BTW these are very common and can sometimes be bought in lots of 5 for around the $25-$35 a piece, but the one shown is in good nick.

Cheers, S>S

BTW these are very common and can sometimes be bought in lots of 5 for around the $25-$35 a piece, but the one shown is in good nick.Cheers, S>S

At those prices (I assume AUS$?) it would almost be worth my while to fly south to Oz and bring them back to sell here! But, I guess I'd need a weapons export licence so that might cut the profits a bit...!!! Never seen one of these on sale in Turkey, but I did see an Argentine Mauser bayonet for sale once with lovely markings - but a Turkish Lira 250 asking price, so about UKL 100 at present rates...

Trajan

Trajan at those inflated prices you are seeing locally you'd definitely be far better off buying globally off the net, even with the shipping costs.!

Those prices for the the M95's are in US dollars, and likewise with the Argy blades - very common and can be bought for $50-$75 most days.

Cheers, S>S

I have frequent dealings with a chap who sells Chilean bayonets and Aust-Hung M95s in lots for around the price quoted. If you are interested I can provide his contact information. I have had some nice rifles and bayonets off him. (He's in upstate NY, USA)

Chris