Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

General Service Button

SteveMarsdin

Good morning,

Please excuse my ignorance, I know very little about uniforms.

On the francophone forum there is a post by someone who has found/knows of a find of a fragment of a uniform near Gosnay (and some other items0. The only identifying feature appears to be a button, which hes describes as: "a shield with a crown and lion above and a lion to the left, unicorn to the right". There is no photo. The description sounds to me like a general service button: did all uniforms have these ?

Very general - it had been worn since around 1881, with the introduction of new pattern uniforms and regimental designations. With the standardisation and introduction of khaki Service Dress c.1902, it was worn universally throughout the British Army. They were worn with uniforms both at home and abroad and they can be found in brass, gilding metal, white metal, silver plate and compressed leather.

They were worn with uniforms both at home and abroad and they can be found in brass, gilding metal, white metal, silver plate and compressed leather.

and also some form of compressed vegetable matter resembling greenish plastic I think (sometimes found on WWII dated 1922 pattern jackets)

Chris

But what are the chances that the materials discussed above, other than brass, would be found in the circumstances in the first post?

In these circumstances, highly unlikely anything other than brass, but it doesn't hurt to let those with an interest know when they were adopted, with what they were worn and in what materials they can be found.

Good evening,

Thanks for all your answers. I don't think they'll be able to narrow it down further than "belonging to a British soldier". If he posts any more information about the fragment of uniform or other artefacts I'll let you know,

• 3 months later...

I think I read that post but was not able to reply. I believe this in the archealogical dig at the old convent at Gosnay. They believe that there were military units stationed there during WW1 but they don't know who. I think this was the location of the 46th Division HQ in 1918, after the German Spring Offensive. If I'm correct it was where my grt-grandfather was killed in July 1918. I was there last Friday following the remembrance ceremony at Pernes Cemetary.

If anyone could confirm or dispell this I'd be most interested.