The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

muleteers and slavo-brit penal bn

sabine72

Hello,

I know this is a delicate subject, and I do not need answers why it happend the shot at dawn's.

I studied the belgian ones and my final essay to get my international badge as a guide(toerisme vlaanderen) was "belgian shot at dawn's"

back to the british list

I found 5 muleteers no dates and no cem or memorial where there name is on

since they are at the bottom of the list and the last dated one is 6/11/1920

I suspect they died after that date.

and then I got 11 names from the slavo-brit penal bn on may 1919 and no known grave or memorial

this has been haunting me for over a week now, and I know my selfe, I need to find answers on these questions

1)why where these 16 not commemorated it says not known or not commemorated

2)that penal bn was that the same as belgian penal bn=no bullet but the punisment was serving in a penal bn fo a time and if you survied it your name was cleared,they got the most dangerous tasks

3)Muleteers?5 and not even a date

hope someone can help me with this

kind regards

sabine

Hello Sabine

The eleven Russians were all shot on 31 July 1919 following a mutiny. The five Macedonian Muleteers were all shot for murder, one on 6 July 1917 and the other four on 31 October 1919.

The details are in Shot at Dawn by Julian Putkowski and Julian Sykes.

They were probably buried locally and never came to the attention of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Two British soldiers were also shot in Nov 1920: one in Turkey, also for murder, and one in India following a mutiny in an Irish regiment stationed there.

Ron

thanks Ron,

that book will be in my hands soon again, I should have known :whistle:

kind regards

sabine

It wasn't a Slavo-British Penal Battalion that mutinied but the Slavo-Brtish Legion. They were technically not part of the British Army but a White Russian unit with British officers seconded to it, at least four of whom were murdered. The British Army did not use penal battalions unlike the Belgians, Russians and Germans all of which used them as an alternative to the death sentence or long imprisonment. The British solution was the suspended death sentence introduced by Haig giving many soldiers a "second chance" which most (but not all) took and did not re offend again.

thank you

an other question answered,and will check that list again since I already found a few errors in it.

regards

sabine