Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shell Case At Auction

dave hanks

post-27141-0-69961300-1312399925.jpg

Hello, the attached shell case is up for auction locally, and I was thinking of having a go for it! It is described in the listing as a WW1 Artillery Shell, I have seen a few Great War shell cases before, but none had the grooved/screwed top before.

Is it as described? Has anyone seen one of this style before? What were the purpose of the groove/screw?

Hope you can help, if it is genuine Great War, I can view it this Friday.

Thank You

A pure guess based on the size of it and the grooved shell securement, but it looks like a modern post war 4.5 inch naval shell case.

The headstamp should confirm what it is, but I certainly do not think it is Great War.

The heavy grooves to secure the shell are necessary on modern auto feed weapons as they power ram the shells quite severely.

Regards

Tonye

I agree with TonyE, it's a modern small 4.5" (none of this 114mm rubbish) Naval Shell so if it was fired in anger its possibly Falklands.

Alex

EDIT:

Just an after thought, if you do venture to have a closer look, have a look at the base & see if there are any making giving a date or any thing that may help date it

Thanks TonyE for your reply. I'll give it a big berth, although they have a couple of bayonets too. Might just go and take a look.

A Fool And His Money........