Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

No Man's Cot

Mark Hone

My wife and I have often visited this small, isolated cemetery while cycling around the Salient and it has become a particular favourite. I have never had cause to carry out detailed research on any of the men buried there but wondered if any other member of the Forum has a particular connection via a relative or someone they have researched from a local war memorial etc. We shall be visiting it again in a few weeks time.

Hi Mark,

My great uncle Pte John McAulay of 1/8th A&SH is buried at Plot A4.

I would be very grateful if you could get me a picture of his headstone and if possible a couple of the general layout around his headstone.

I have seen the picture on CWGC site and one day I would like to visit the cemetery.

Thank you in anticipation.

JIM

PS. I tried to PM you but I think your inbox may be full.

Hello Mark

Thanks for posting this small cemetery No Man.s Cot,I am coming over in Oct and I intend visiting this cemetery,

77 Graves over half are from the 51st Highland Div, 19 Black Watch graves.

Joe

Thanks for that. I shall photograph John Mcauley's grave on my next visit. No Man's Cot was one of the cemeteries threatened by the original line of the A19 motorway extension a few years ago. Eventually the proposed route was changed around the Pilckem Ridge battlefield but even that seems to have gone quiet. Anyone know what's happening? Is the delay somehow connected with Belgium's lack of a central government?

• 4 weeks later...

As promised, photographs of John MCAulay's grave and a general view of No Man's Cot, now with recently-built wind-turbines in the background. It was a slightly dull morning (and not fully light at 7-30 am in late August!) but I think that they turned out OK. Jaywalker, if you send me a PM I shall send higher-res versions of these and several other pictures.

post-120-0-33005200-1314895772.jpg

post-120-0-12583900-1314895783.jpg

As promised, photographs of John MCAulay's grave and a general view of No Man's Cot, now with recently-built wind-turbines in the background. It was a slightly dull morning (and not fully light at 7-30 am in late August!) but I think that they turned out OK. Jaywalker, if you send me a PM I shall send higher-res versions of these and several other pictures.

:-) :-)

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

Thanks. I do have over 20 images of NMC taken on this tour and various others from earlier tours going back to 2000. The earlier ones are missing turbines!