The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lieut-Colonel. R.A. Bulloch. DSO

Rob Bulloch

Hello to the forum.

I am looking for information or with a bit of luck a photograph of the above gentleman all I know about him is as follows.

4th/5th Battalion Black Watch. Lieut-Colonel R.A. Bulloch DSO. Chevalier of Legion of Honour and Croix de Guerre 12th Aug 1918. Joined the Bn 17th May 1918. To 15th Div HQ 11th Oct 1918.

Any snippet of information would be great ( I have the extracts from the Gazette)

T.I.A Aye Rob.

Here is his entry in Part 2 of The Distinguished Service Order - page 215.

post-48147-0-28868300-1312318188.jpg

and his entry in Part 2 Half Yearly Army List 31 December 1922.

post-48147-0-96812100-1312318800.jpg

Both entries provide plenty of clues for further research.

Hi Rob,

Richard Archibald Bulloch was the son of G.Bulloch,Esq.,Kinloch, Dunkeld, Scotland. He joined the Black Watch in 1899; Capt, 1906; served in the Boer War(wounded at Magersfontein and was awarded the QSA with 3 clasps). During WW1 he was wounded twice, was thrice mentioned in despatches and was awarded the DSO, 1917; Legion of Honour and French Croix de Guerre, 1918. Cmdg. 1st Bn Black Watch 1926-30; Col. 1930; cmdg 153rd(Black Watch and Gordon) Inf Bde(TA) 1932-36; retired 1936. JP and DL Inverness-shire. Address: Col.R.A.Bulloch, Tomatin House, Tomatin, Inverness-shire. (Educated: Harrow 1893 to 1897; Fives Player 1896-97).

I am almost certain that the Black Watch museum will have a portrait of him. It is probably worth asking the question.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Hi Rob my great war mentor, who started me on all this shenanigans, is a retired radiologist now living in Taunton, but family from Scotland, Dr Colin Bulloch. His uncle Lt Robert Bulloch 26th Royal Fusiliers I think it is was killed at Tower Hamlets 26th Sept 1917. Burial known but lost and now commemorated on wall at Tyne Cot. Do you think you are a branch of the same family, if so may be able to put you in touch ?

Regards SG

ps have just noted Roberts name in your last list. two years ago with Colin and some friends we tracked down his lat movements from Shrewbury Forest up towards a strong post noted as The Quadrilteral it is likely Robert was killed here

Philip W SG and Old Owl.

Thank you all very much for your input I don't think there is much chance of Lt Col Bulloch being a relative just another of the Bulloch clan. But I would love to see a photograph of him. SG It was the three lads at the top of my list that got me involved in these "Shenanigans" Rob.

Thanks again for your information. Aye Rob.

Dear Rob

Lt Col Bulloch, DSO, was an Old Harrovian and if you contact the archivist at Harrow School she should be able to supply you with a photograph and obituary from one of the volumes of Harrow Memorials 1914-1918 and possibly some information about his time at the school.

Regards ... Maricourt

Rob,

Please find below a picture of (from left to right, as the reader looks at it): Lt-Col Richard Archibald Bulloch, DSO; Col Arthur Grenfell Wauchope, CMG CIE DSO; and Lt-Col Archibald Percival Wavell, CMG MC. Lord Wavell lost his left eye in June 1915 at Ypres. The picture below is from 1922.

I hope this is of use.

Aye

Tom McC

[Picture subject to Crown Copyright]

post-10175-0-55793100-1312480703.jpg

Maricourt and Tom.McC.

Sorry for the delay in replying..Tom the photograph is great I knew someone would have one Thanks a bundle.

Maricourt. I will get in touch with the archivist at Harrow thank you for the information.

Aye Rob.

Unfortunately he will not appear in Harrow Memorials as he was not a fatal casualty of WW1. The school may however have a photo of him in a group or team photo.

Old Owl..I was thinking along similar lines, and when I contacted the the archivist at Harrow school, I did mention in my enquire that R.A Bulloch had survived the war. The school may have a photograph, sports or former pupils you just never know.

Aye Rob.

• 4 years later...

Hi Rob I'm Richard Hammond Chambers Borgnis Archibald's great grandson I have his dress sword and currently training at sandhurst with view of joining the 3 Scotts new black watch regiment my father has some extra photos of Archibald who was a great part of his childhood

Hello Hammond13. Sorry for the delayed reply. I would be very interested in seeing anything you have on Lt Col. R.A. Bulloch. DSO. Aye Rob.

Pm on its way.

• 2 years later...

Hello, I am looking for some information and help please.  I have found a medal which I think is my paternal grandfather who I know nothing about.  I found this blog on the forum and wondered if Rob could help me please.  My father  T R W Lambkin is deceased and I have no other family that I can ask 

Thank you

On 9/10/2010 at 19:08, Rob Bulloch said:

The attached list is of Irish born soldiers that were employed with the Canadian Bank of Commerce. The information gives date of birth,Fathers name and occupation,place of birth and places of education, it also lists the regiments or battalions with whom they served,and where. It also gives information on any decorations earned, the asterix against a name means DOW or KIA.

If any of forum members would like further information on any of the soldiers listed. I would be pleased to look it up. Aye Rob.

Cpl. J.J. Lambkin Born Cork.

Sorry my grandad's name is Cpl J J Lambkin and on the back of the star it says 8/Can Inf ?

Thank you again