Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8 inch long WW I bayonet

James A Pratt III

I am looking for information on an 8 inch long bayonet used in Russia in 1918? Does anyone have any idea which country it could have belonged too. I understand the Astro-Hungarian army's standard bayonet for their M1895 rifle was 9.75 inches long. i also understand some of the german armys late war bayonets may have been about 8 inches long. I think it is a knive type bayonet. thanks in advance.

This a bit of a needle in a haystack, do you have any more information?

Gaz

It could be a M1895 bayonet that was made by Winchester Repeating Arms in the US. There were 2 versions, a long and a short blade.

Winchester originally delivered the short bayonet (210mm blade) with the M1895 rifle contract, but this didn't really please the Russians.

They wanted something longer (to go through winter greatcoats) and so the remainder of the contract was supplied with the 400mm blade.

Both these bayonets will be found with the words "Winchester Repeating Arms Co." stamped vertically down the frontside of the crossguard.

Cheers, S>S

This a bit of a needle in a haystack, do you have any more information?

Gaz

+1 on that! (picture? extract mentioning etc)

In addition to those mentioned above, there were also some shortish blade bayonets fabricated to fit captured M1891 Nagants so there are numerous candidates.

Chris

I did think of the short M95 Winchester bayonet, then again there are so many types of rifles used in that period, it could be any bayonet just shortened down. They shortened M91 Mosin-Nagants to a large pistol size so bayonets are a possibility. Not really enough information for a solid ID.

Gaz

The 8 inch long bayonet was used by a exceptionly brutal member of the Cheka (Soviet Secret Police) Peter Ermakov. He played a major role in the murder of Ex-Tsar Nicholas II and his family on 17 july 1918. After helping kill Nicholas II . he shot and killed his wife Alexandra and wounded their daughter Marie. He then had to leave the room do to the choking gunsmoke with the others. Some minutes later he came back in the room where he stabbed and shot his way through the Tsars 4 daughters, son Alexi, and the maid with the help of Yakov Yurovsky and C Nikulin. The book "Last days of the Romanovs" and the wikipedia bios of Grand Duchesses Olga and Tatiana mention him using a 8 inch bayonet. Thank you for your above help. I hope this is of some intrest to you. Also the handguns used by Yurovsky, Ermakov and Nikulin to kill Nicolas II and his family are in the Musuem of the Revolution in Moscow. The men donated them shortly before they died.

I did think of the short M95 Winchester bayonet, then again there are so many types of rifles used in that period, it could be any bayonet just shortened down. They shortened M91 Mosin-Nagants to a large pistol size so bayonets are a possibility. Not really enough information for a solid ID.

We can only work with the information that is provided Gaz, so we've got that its an 8" long bayonet and that its probably a knife type blade.

Also was used in Russia during WW1, so when you think about it, we don't really have a very big haystack to search through, you know.!

Of course it could be a shortened blade or an ersatz type, but mostly these were done to certain specifications depending on country of issue.

If it was a randomly shortened blade that was done by an individual, than it would usually be classed more as a 'fighting knife' or 'trench dagger'.

So lets list all the issue or service bayonets used in the GW that would fit roughly within the 8" blade length category (so the shortest GW bayonets)

I'll start with the Russian M1895 Winchester short bayonet with a blade length of 210mm (see illustration below)

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-80299300-1312342440.jpg

I did a quick search on that forum after I posted and the bayonet shown (only a small thumbnail) did look like a M95. Cant find the post now though.

Gaz

i logged on to the alexanderpalace.org on 15 July 11 and am still waiting for the forum adminestrators approve me to let me make posts there. It seems I am having either gremlin problems or someone has forgotten about me. This is sometimes the story of my life. If anybody knows anyone at this site could you please let them know i am still waiting, Please. Also let them know I have both questions and answers for this site that others will find usefull. Also note my computor skills and access are sort of limited.