Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Carless VC from Walsall

rmtruby

Does anyone have any information on John Carless VC from Walsall?

Thanks

Ray

Hello Ray,

I have some information but it's almost certainly something you already know - that there is a memorial to him outside Walsall Town Hall.

If you go to the Google Search Engine site and type in John Carless VC and then press the "Google Search" button you'll get quite a few pages mentioning John Carless, and there's quite a bit of info you can sift through. After just a minute or so searching I found an email link to one of John Carless's relatives.

Good luck with the search

Tom

john carless, born in walsall in the 11th november 1896, joined the royal navy on the 1st september 1915

he demonstrated his courage early on in his career, being one of a number of volunteers from the destroyer who helped to rescue passengers from the beleaguered hospital ship. in another incident he saved the life of a stoker who was enveloped in flames in a boiler room.

on 11th november 1917, his 21st birthday, his ship hms caledon was heavily shelled . carless was hit by a shell splinter and severely wounded in the abdomen.despite his injuries he remained at his post. his injuries were so severe that he must have known he was dying yet he continued to assist with clearing and helping the injured men around him until he finally collapsed on deck and died.

enoch

Enoch

Do I get the prize for spotting your deliberate mistake?

1996 or 1896?

Mandy

thankyou mandy ,

educated in sandwell(my excuse)

enoch

• 1 month later...

Talking of Sandwell. I recently went on the Sandwell council website and there's a page dedicated to the seven VCs from the Sandwell area (both world wars).

Ray