Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

CWGC survey

roel22

CWGC is doing an online horticultural survey on how their cemeteries are/should be maintained.

Roel

Thanks for that Roel.

Some interesting questions and some leading ones too. Overall, though, good to see the CWGC engaging the wider world directly.

It is a reasonable survey but, as Tim says, a bit leading in places. In particular, CWGC appears to be floating the grass/no-grass issue. I duly noted that in my comments. Antony

CWGC keen to stress that the survey isnt anything to do with any proposed cost-cutting, but all a bit simplistic rate in order of importance trees / flowers / grass, etc uh :huh:

They mention artificial grass, and in some places such as the Tyne Cot front entrance area that may in fact be a preferable solution to the current problems.

Tom

Would small-grain gravel not be more aesthetically pleasing and less susceptible to flooding, theft, etc.? Antony

Also completed the survey, I thought that there could be more than one answer to some of the questions, but as mentioned I felt as though I was being "led" to the anwers they wanted...

Maybe some of my picks didn't suit what they required....!!!!

regards

Tom

Would small-grain gravel not be more aesthetically pleasing and less susceptible to flooding, theft, etc.? Antony

Antony - the problem with gravel is that it gets kicked about - onto adjacent grass etc - and Tyne Cot is a sloping site. Places like TC get so many visitors that the long term solution may have to be drastic - hard paving from the front entrance to the cross, perhaps.

Essex Farm is another long-standing example of visitor overload and badly battered grass. Thankfully these "extreme" examples are few and far between, and I think that a bit of leeway should be given to CWGC in their attempts to find cost-effective solutions.

Tom

Just done the survey.

I think they need to address the issue sensitively and pragmatically, but plastic grass, no matter what fancy name you give it is terrible stuff

Visited Bedford House a few years ago just after the gardeners had done their splendid work.

I'd hate to see grass maintained like at Bedford House being replaced by gravel (although I can imagine some cemeteries may need such drastic measures)

Roel

I just did the survey. If my participation will be taken serious, expect British cemeteries to change into more colorful planted, less sober (roses only) places.

Antony - the problem with gravel is that it gets kicked about - onto adjacent grass etc - and Tyne Cott is a sloping site. Places like TC get so many visitors that the long term solution may have to be drastic - hard paving from the front entrance to the cross, perhaps.

Essex Farm is another long-standing example of visitor overload and badly battered grass. Thankfully these "extreme" examples are few and far between, and I think that a bit of leeway should be given to CWGC in their attempts to find cost-effective solutions.

Tom

Quite agree Tom. The choice is, would you rather have a surface that looks like it has been permanently trampled or something that looks at least half decent and can stand the wear and tear. Gravel is not a solution - it just ends up everywhere it is not supposed to be and the areas supposed to be gravelled end up as patches of bare earth. It also makes mowing a hazardous pastime.