Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British tropical uniform

greatspywar

Hi all

We have in our collection a British tropical uniform, so called Great War-period. When looking closely to the darts at the collar, we can only see one, instead of two like we usually see on the khaki uniform (which supposedly can be identified as 14-18). The uniform has one straight seam, 'pointy' breast pockets and a turn down collar.

How can one be sure that this is a genuine 14-18 product and not a post 1918 one?

Please advise!

Thank you very much!! All the best from a -finally- sunny Brussels!

Jan

Hi all

We have in our collection a British tropical uniform, so called Great War-period. When looking closely to the darts at the collar, we can only see one, instead of two like we usually see on the khaki uniform (which supposedly can be identified as 14-18). The uniform has one straight seam, 'pointy' breast pockets and a turn down collar.

How can one be sure that this is a genuine 14-18 product and not a post 1918 one?

Please advise!

Thank you very much!! All the best from a -finally- sunny Brussels!

Jan

Jan if you look at this thread (posts #53 and 55): http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=165361&st=50 you should find some of your answers. However, there were many variations of KD when compared with SD, as the former could be made up overseas in local native tailors shops (especially in India and other tropical stations like Ceylon and Malta) rather than provided via the Royal Army Clothing Department in Britain.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I have already read the other topic on the KD, but I am still unsure.

Do the overseas tailored KD's have specific markings or details to be identified with?

The problem is that I have been able to find one dart with pointy breastpockets. Two darts and point breast pockets or one dart and squared breast pockets plenty, but the other one, none so far. And that's what bothers me a little bit. :o

I have bene trying to find some good photos of soldiers wearing their tropical uniform, but I haven't been able to find a lot...

Thanks

Jan