Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stolen bayonet :-(

Chris Boonzaier

Please note, the following KS98 sawback bayonet was stolen in the mail. If you see it for sale anywhere, please drop me a line. The number is KS2232 or KS 2232 and is as such instantly recognisable.

It would probably turn up in South Africa or germany.

Thanks

Chris

post-748-0-05138500-1312098905.jpg

Chris maybe it's not stolen at all. Just wait until German customs will contact you due to import of a possibleillegal weapon. I assume your bayonet has a blade length of more than 12cm? Then they will question you and if you have convincing reasons you might be allowed to keep it.

Chris maybe it's not stolen at all. Just wait until German customs will contact you due to import of a possibleillegal weapon. I assume your bayonet has a blade length of more than 12cm? Then they will question you and if you have convincing reasons you might be allowed to keep it.

Hi,

I wish it was so, but it has been about 4 months now. Post office researched and declared it gone. :-(

Best

Chris

Hm, was it regular mail or UPS, Fedex or DHL? They all have different port of entries to the EU and it might have been scanned somewhere else in Europe and confiscated?

Hm, was it regular mail or UPS, Fedex or DHL? They all have different port of entries to the EU and it might have been scanned somewhere else in Europe and confiscated?

Hi,

unfortunately regular mail.

I am going for "Scanned and stolen" as it is not traceable by the post office anymore. if it was confiscated I am pretty sure that I would have been notified.

As I send and recieve bayonets every now and then, and the customs never makes problems, I dont think it is with them.

Only time I ever had anything confiscated without getting anything in writing... i.e. from my hand, into the customs officers drawer, was in Ethiopia a few months ago... ;-)

German customs still do everything by hand, with printed forms and ink stamps... the more paper the better!

But IF you are right... i will eat crow and mail you a keg of beer!

I will keep an eye out its a small world you never know. I would guess you paid a tidy sum. I have only had one item lost and that was an RSPCA Life saving medal stolen from the Liverpool sorting office years ago, it reinforced the stereotype of scouseland.

Is it me or does the scabbard look to have been 'made to match' post german use. The markings seem too fresh and of the wrong font from those on the bayonet proper. I don't like that scabbard marking.

I hate to hear of theft through the mail ...anywhere !. I have been real lucky with US Mail. UPS has broken a bunch of things over the years and when RPS was around before they got swallowed up by fedex they were a pack of thieves !. With the US Post office losing so much business and having way too many people on th epayroll doing nothing they have actually become fairly efficient as they all need to be doing something with the work load so much smaller...though they must shed alot of the upper deadweight management types that receive huge paychecks and very generous benefit packages when they can't show why they need to be there making that taxpayer pay through the nose.

I have heard from friends that Royal Mail in the UK is very very bad with theft anymore...and overzealouse apparatchniks that work in it's bowels.

Is it me or does the scabbard look to have been 'made to match' post german use. The markings seem too fresh and of the wrong font from those on the bayonet proper. I don't like that scabbard marking.

I'm afraid that I have to agree with those thoughts, but I didn't want to say anything which might be seen to be just adding to the misery.

But hey, looking on the bright side, thats all someone elses problem now isn't it.! BTW sorry to hear about this bad luck, must be tough.

I'm very glad to say that I have not had any problems with the USPS service into Australia so far to date. Likewise with the British service.

And for that I am always eternally grateful - AMEN. I guess with the numbers of packages that I get shifted around I will get hit eventually.

Cheers, S>S

Hi,

I wish it were, but the different fonts were not unknown and have observed these particular ones twice before. Why? I have no idea.

I wish I could saw the thief off at the knees :-(

Hi,

I wish it were, but the different fonts were not unknown and have observed these particular ones twice before. Why? I have no idea.

I wish I could saw the thief off at the knees :-(

Chris , I am always a skeptic on details like these as all the original matching scabbard or not KS bayonets I have examined had the same letter/number fonts along with appropriate age/wear. When I have come across regimental marked german bayonets with different font marked scabbards and yes even faked regimental marks on the bayonets , I shy away from such glaring things..especailly on higher end sought after marked peices such as this.

• 1 month later...

it looks like this one here on this website

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/48073-german-short-sawback-bayonet/

You mean the thread with the following message on the end... :rolleyes:

"This bayonet has been stolen somewhere between South Africa and Germany.

Please note the number....

Best

Chris"

Indeed, thats the one ;-)