Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harold G. Bache and William H. Jackson

rmtruby

As part of my research into West Bromwich and the Great War, I have been trying to find out which West Brom players served in the armed forces. So far I have found out a little information on:

1. Harold G. Bache - WBA's centre forward, who died while serving as a 2nd Lieutenant with the 10th Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers on 16th February 1916, aged 26. He was the son of William and Frances Mary Bache of West Bromwich.

2. William H. Jackson, who died while serving as 2nd Lieutenant with the 15th Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment on 3rd May 1917.

3. Tommy Magee from Widnes, who signed with WBA after the war in January 1919, whilst still in the army.

Any extra information would be appreciated.

Ray

Ray

There was quite a long, detailed discussion thread about Harold Bache just a few weeks ago. Perhaps worth using the search engine to trace the thread?

SN

Just read the information on Harold Bache that was exchanged on the forum not long back - very useful.

Has anyone got any information on William Jackson or Tommy Magee? Photos would be great!

Thanks

Ray

The only information I have on William Hickin Jackson comes from the Who's Who of the Football League: he was born in Oldbury in the West Midlands in 1894 and made just 3 league appearances for the Baggies between 1911 and 1913.

It is just possible that he could be the William H Jackson listed on the war memorial at Birmingham University - so it might be worth keeping an eye on the following website

http://www.firstworldwar.bham.ac.uk/memorial/

Another useful website will be www.leedspals.co.uk

Adrian

Another West Brom player of interest is S. Hatton - I don't know what the 'S' stands for. According to an old newspaper article that I read recently, he won the MM whilst serving with the South Staffs. He survived the war.

If anyone has anything new to add on S. Hatton, it would be great.

Thanks

Ray

for conspicuious bravery . on december 1st 1917, near fontain-notre-dame the enemy put down a heavy barrage on our front line and an attack appeared imminent. all telephone wires were cut and it was essential that communication should be established between the front and support companies.

this nco was in the support company volunteered to proceed to the right flank company where the situation was obscure. he went out with an officer and they were heavily fired on by enemy machine gun fire on leaving their trench. they proceeded to the headquarters of the right flank company and were under observation and constant shell and machine gun fire for a distance of 1600 yards . having obtained information sergeant hatton returned under fire to battalion headquarters.

source-honours and awards south staffs regiment, jeff elson

the west brom book lists his first name as samuel(200920)

enoch

Thanks very much for all the information so far.

I'm also trying to find out whether West Bromwich Albion and the Hawthorns were used in any way for the recruitment drive, before or during matches.

Thanks

Ray

• 10 months later...

I'm currently doing some research on the memorial plaque at the Holy Trinity Church, West Bromwich. I was wondering whether Harold Bache who played for the Albion was the same man who is featured on the memorial in the church.

Thanks

Ray