Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Search for old WWI films on vhs

Garde Grenadier

Is there anybody out there who's got copies of some of the old b/w films about the Great War?? - I have got "Westfront 1918" and of course "All quiet on the Western Front", both versions, the original black and white and the remakes in colour. I've also got a film in my collection called "The Trench". It's not the reenactment (BBC), but about the battle of the Somme - horrendous! Then I've got the film of Jean Renoir/Abel Gance about soldiers

coming out of their graves at Douaumont and trying to prevent another war - that

really is something else!

Does anybody by any chance have copies of old films like "The Big Parade", "The

Doughboy", "Farewell to Arms", "The Eternal City", "The Crowded Hour",

"Journey's End", "Ypres" or "No Man's Land" or other titles which I might not know about?

I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Best wishes

Daniel

In memory of my great-uncles Theodor (see my article on Tom Morgan's Hellfire Corner) who was killed +24.07.1917 and is buried at Sissonne German Military Cemetery and Heinrich who was killed +25.05.1915 near Boezinge and is buried at Langemark German Military Cemetery.

Then I've got the film of Jean Renoir/Abel Gance about soldiers

coming out of their graves at Douaumont and trying to prevent another war - that

Daniel.

Could you tell me where I could get myself a copy of this film ("J'Accuse") on VHS or DVD. I've been looking for it for absolutely years .

Thanks.

Dave.

Daniel.

Could you tell me where I could get myself a copy of this film ("J'Accuse") on VHS or DVD. I've been looking for it for absolutely years .

Thanks.

Dave.

Hello Dave, believe it or not. I got "J'accuse" by pure chance at ebay. I'd be willing to have a copy made - can't do that myself. That will take a little time.

Regards, Daniel

Garde

If you try www.imdb.com you may be able to locate ww1 films

I can make copies if you wish, only PAL vhs not NTSC. Have done so already on Timewatch

Contact me via email if I can help

What was the film starring Kirk Douglas set in WW1?

John

John

I think "Paths of Glory" made in 1957, with Kirk Douglas, Ralph Meeker and Adolphe Menjou, and directed by Stanley Kubrick, [he types reading from the cover] is the film you're looking for. Along with "Dr Strangelove" and some others whose titles escape me, it was re-released on video a couple of years ago as part of a Stanley Kubrick collection. At least, it was re-released in Australia, I can't speak for the rest of the world.

If memory serves me correctly, the movie couldn't be made in France, so it was filmed in Germany, with the local police taking the part of the French troops - and presumably the Germans as well.

I hope this helps.

Dolphin

Hello Dave, believe it or not. I got "J'accuse" by pure chance at ebay. I'd be willing to have a copy made - can't do that myself. That will take a little time.

Regards, Daniel

Hi Daniel.

If you could get someone to make a copy of it,I'd greatly appreciate it!

(I'll stand all costs of course!).

As I said,I've been looking for it for years,so I think I can wait a little longer!

Thanks,

Dave.

Hello John W., thanks for your reply. My email probably didn't get through to you. Yes, I'd very much appreciate if you could make copies of old films as not all films I'm looking for are for sale - not even at the address you mentioned.

I'd be very grateful if you could contact me and tell me which films you've got.

Thanks a lot!

Best wishes from Germany

Daniel

Chauvel's film Forty-Thousand Horsemen, about the Aus. Light Horse in Palestine, is available from sources in Australia. You can try the Australian War Memorial Shop (start at www.awm.gov.au) or try a google search on the title.

Renoir's La Grande Illusion is also well worth looking out for. I can also heartily recommend Asquith's "Tell England" which moves from english public schools to Gallipoli and recreates Gallipoli as no film before or since.

For a few decades Paths of Glory could only be shown privately in France, the authorities refusing to give it a licence for commercial distribution.

I have copies of this and La Grande Illusion, but like others I have no means of copying them. One to keep an eye out for is the 1923 film The White Sister directed by Henry King and starring Lillian Gish and Ronald Coleman. Plot:

Gish, a sheltered aristocrat, is engaged to Colman who goes off to war.

Coleman is captured by Bedouin!

Thinking he is dead, Gish becomes a nun. Coleman eventually escapes and returns.

Gish is torn between her vows and Ronny - the vows win.

The film does have a happy ending though. Coleman dies a hero rescuing people from an erupting Mount Vesuvius.

Not a dry eye in the house.

Terry Reeves

As I said before.. i can do copies if needed all you got to do is email me and sort out the necessary..

If you arent sure about a film then if you go to www.imdb.com they may be able to shed light on it... Its a film databaseand includes profiles of actors etc, also cast lists...

Hope that helps

John :D

If it's of any help, I managed to get DVD copies of Paths of Glory and King and Country through Amazon a while back.

That said, although Paths of Glory came from Amazon UK, I had to order King and Country (Dirk Bogarde and Tom Courtenay) from Amazon US.

Not sure why it is, apparently, unobtainable here.

Rosemary

Rosemary

The DVD from the US was it the right region or do you have a multi region DVD player...

John

John

According to the DVD player handbook, it covers only region 2 but it does play the US obtained film quite happily, as does my laptop player (so far!).

Rosemary

Daniel.

Thanks.

Dave.

Hello Dave, the film I accuse (J'accuse) by Abel Gance is currently for sale with ebay if you are looking for a copy. I saw at least two American offers.

Best wishes Daniel

I'm on the lookout for the following films:

Victor Trivas: Niemandsland (D 1931; Drehbuch: Leonhard Frank)

The Big Parade (1925)

The Crowded Hour (1925)

The Dark Journey (1937) also known as Anxious Years

The Doughboy (1918)

The Eternal City (1923)

The Lost Patrol (1934)

No Man’s Land (1918)

Ypres (1925) aka Wipres

Any chance??

Regards Daniel

In memory of Heinrich Plesker stretcher-bearer in the Infantry Regiment No.216 +25.05.1915 near Boezinge

and Theodor Hörnemann Garde-Grenadier Königin-Elisabeth-Garde-Grenadier-Regiment No.3 +24.07.1917 at Chivres-en-Laonnois.

Big Parade, The (1925)

Page 1 of 23

Directed by

King Vidor

Writing credits

Harry Behn

Joseph Farnham (play)

(more)

Add to

MyMovies

Genre: Drama / Romance / War (more)

Tagline: The epic of the American doughboy!

Plot Summary: The idle son of a rich businessman joins the army when the U.S.A. enters World War One. He is sent to France... (more)

User Comments: An amazing view on love and war (more)

User Rating: 8.8/10 (245 votes)

Complete credited cast:

John Gilbert (I) .... James Apperson

Renée Adorée .... Melisande

Hobart Bosworth .... Mr. Apperson

Claire McDowell .... Mrs. Apperson

Claire Adams (I) .... Justyn Reed

Robert Ober .... Harry

Tom O'Brien (I) .... Bull

Karl Dane .... Slim

Rosita Marstini .... Melisande's Mother

rest of cast listed alphabetically

George Beranger (as Andre Beranger)

Frank Currier

(more)

Runtime: 141 min / USA:130 min (re-release)

Color: Black and White (with tinted sequences)

Sound Mix: Silent

Certification: Spain:13

BIG PARADE, THE

Amazon.com

VHS

DVD

CD

Also available:

Auctions

Memorabilia

Books

All Products

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User Comments:

Strombol

Date: 11 June 1999

Summary: An amazing view on love and war

Not only are the battle scenes exciting and dramatic, maybe even harrowing, but the scenes back home are just as memorable. John Gilbert and Renee Adoree make a wonderful couple. There's a lengthy scene where they are flirting and getting to know each other and two romantic leads never radiated more charm than these two. When Gilbert is sent off to war I was sorry to see the two split apart. Those early scenes give everything else in the movie a special meaning and it's a rare movie where I genuinely cared about the characters as if they were real people! **** out of ****

Above from www.imdb.com.. try the others and see.. also there is a link to amazon.com

Hope that helps

John

Can I suggest that "Brassey's Guide to War Films" may prove a useful commentary/listing/details of films. Copies currently available in the IWM shop at £9.99 (half original price). They have a substantial stock as at today.