Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GS vs Regimental buttons

Tim P

what rules were in place for the use of regimental/ corps buttons on the tunic and what place did the GS button serve in all that? I cant help but believe that it was not a common thing.

what rules were in place for the use of regimental/ corps buttons on the tunic and what place did the GS button serve in all that? I cant help but believe that it was not a common thing.

also, with the different battallions of the London regiment, would they have worn the buttons to complement their cap badge?

General regulations required officers to wear regimental buttons and ORs to wear GS buttons. Rifle regiments wore black rifles buttons whenever they could get them. There were always cases where some tried to deviate from regulations but most units followed that general policy.

Regimental buttons and collar badges began to be issued to ORs in the 1920s.

post-599-0-61165200-1311985130.jpg

Tim

There was an extensive thread on this here. Basically the consensus was, no they weren't supposed to wear them, but yes they sometimes did, but only in a minority of cases. I'm not including the black horn button in this as in effect it was the GS button for rifle units.

Rgds,

W.

I am very grateful for the input and links. That does make life very easy for me so it is something of a relief to hear this. The logistics of supplying a diverse army of such a size with reggie buttons would have been phenomenal and served no real aesthetic purpose so it makes sense that the GS button survived as the other ranks mainstay for so long..

One tip, never disregard a box of GS buttons, check them carefully you might be lucky and find one or even a set of these and I have seen them go for in excess of 60 quid each.

post-11859-0-86561400-1312099204.jpg

also, with the different battallions of the London regiment, would they have worn the buttons to complement their cap badge?

Some of the London Regiment battalions did have their own buttons but these had to be purchased from the Regiment's Tailor (not the regimental tailor) at the individual's own expense. Others wore the "parent" unit buttons and GS buttons were also worn. It is quite common to see both regimental and GS buttons being worn in group photographs.