Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian 35 Service Battalion: Fritheilidh Sinn

nemesis

Does anyone know what the Regimental badge for the Canadian 35 Service Battalion Looked like

Thanks Dave I was hoping to tie the badge in with this post of mine

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=164538&st=0&p=1599442entry1599442

I think this is military in origin but there are no obvious Scottish regiments that fit the bill however the Canadian Army’s 35th Service Regiment has the Gaelic motto Fritheilidh Sinn, which means We Serve and the regiment was raised in Nova Scotia , so a lot of its recruits would have been of Scottish descent.

35 (Toronto) Infantry Battalion was, as the name suggests, raised in Toronto. 35 (Sydney) Service Battalion was raised in Cape Breton Island, not Nova Scotia. I believe it wears the Canadian Service Corps badge. Dave posted a link to 35th (Toronto). The badge in your other post looks like railway art but I doubt that it was ever mounted on the Famous Flying Scotsman steam locomotive. It carried a nose plate and two thistles, no motto. A winged or flying thistle was attached to the later Deltic diesel locos that pulled the train but, again, I've never seen the motto attached. I'm also of the opinion that this is not a winged thistle. It is simply a thistle with its leaves spread out. I think there's a heraldic name for it. The motto is that of the Lions Club, founded 1917, but I can't see any link with the badge. I am sure that it is not connected to 35 (Sydney) Service Battalion. They would not translate their motto into English. Antony

And we are mixing time periods here. 35th Toronto was CEF, 35 Service is a current (2011) battalion.

Hi.

Here is a link to the "Unit Crest" of 36 Service Battalion. Individuals in any Canadian Service Battalion wears the "Cap Badge" of their corps/branch, for example EME, Admin, Signals, medical, etc.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/36cbg_hq/images/35svc.jpg

Here is a link to a short unit history. As of 1 April, 2010, 33 (Halifax) Service Battalion and 35 (Sydney) Service Battalion were amalgamated to form 36 Service Battalion and assigned to 36 Canadian Brigade Group.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/36service_battalion/history.asp

Just to set the record straight, although Cape Breton is an island, it's still part of Nova Scotia.

Jean-Paul

And we are mixing time periods here. 35th Toronto was CEF, 35 Service is a current (2011) battalion.

Beg to disagree. 35 (Sydney) Service Battalion was a WW1 battalion. 35 Canadian Service Battalion was formed in 2010 by renaming the 55th. The names are similar but different. Antony

EDIT. Please ignore the first and second sentences. I have misspoken.

Hi.

Just to set the record straight, although Cape Breton is an island, it's still part of Nova Scotia.

Jean-Paul

Bonjour, Jean-Paul: Legally and administratively, you are quite correct. Culturally and emotionally, however, one finds that many, many Cape Breton Islanders still consider themselves separate (as, indeed, they were for some forty years over the turn of the 19th Century). The causeway has done little to lessen that feeling. Regards, Antony

Beg to disagree. 35 (Sydney) Service Battalion was a WW1 battalion.

Would you provide a reference for this please. I have never heard of such nomenclature in the 1914-1919 period.

I agree with Broznitsky. Apples and oranges are being mixed with wild abandon! The term "service battalion" in reference to a Canadian logistics unit dates to the mid-1960s. It has absolutely NO relevance to the CEF.

All the best,

Gary

Would you provide a reference for this please. I have never heard of such nomenclature in the 1914-1919 period.

I beg your pardon, B. I have absolutely no idea why I contradicted you - or, in effect, contradicted my own post No4. If I was still living in Toronto, as I did for 44 years, I would put it down to heatstroke :innocent: - certainly not to 'gay abandon', as I usually try to be helpful. All I can suggest is confusion due to the OPs initial statement that it was a Nova Scotia battalion and my own concentration on the origin of the thistle and the question regarding the Gaelic motto. Multi-tasking becomes harder with age! 35 (Toronto) did leave Canada from Sydney and 85 and 125 were NS battalions so there is a tenuous link but that is all. Again, my apologies. Antony

No worries, cobber. We could have speculated it was a Sydney Australia battalion too, right?

Damn! Didn't think of that :rolleyes: . Antony