Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The French in Thiepval Wood

Ralph J. Whitehead

Does anyone know the identity of any French regiments that served in Thiepval Wood from September 1914 through the Autumn of 1915 when the British forces took possession of the wood?

Any help for any part of this time period would be greatly appreciated, I look forward to your responses.

Ralph

Can't help with a specific unit at the moment, Ralph, but it was mainly French Territorials on the Somme at this time.

I am pretty sure 51st (Highland) Div was the first to relieve the French here, and will see if they mention a unit in the divisional history.

Here it is:

On 27th July 1915, orders were issued… to take over the line from near Becourt to the river Ancre near Hamel, relieving the 22nd Division of the XIth French Corps.

On the night of 30th-31st the 152nd Brigade took over the left sector from the 116th French Regiment. On the following night the right sector was taken over by 154th Infantry Brigade, who relieved the 22nd French Territorial Regiment, and by the 135d Brigade, who took over a portion of the right sector from the 44th French Brigade.

Source: Major F.W.Bewsher DSO MC ‘The History of the 51st (Highland) Division 1914-1918’ (c.1920)

From that I would read the 116 RI were in Thiepval Wood.

I can't find an on-line history of them, but there are two published books of memoirs by men who served in it and were in the unit at this time:

Paroles d'un revenant, Jacques d'Arnoux

Plon 1925

Engagé dans la cavalerie, l'auteur se porte volontaire pour le front où il arrive comme fantassin le 17 novembre 1914, avant d'être évacué pour blessure le 25 septembre 1915. Ce livre est consacré en partie à cette période. Il est jugé très fantaisiste par Cru. (Témoins, p.85-87)

L'aube sanglante, Samuel Bourguet

Berger-Levrault, 1917

Il s'agit de la correspondance - fortement censurée - d'un officier supérieur, qui va du 14 septembre 1914 au 24 septembre 1915, veille de sa mort. Nommé à la tête du régiment comme lieutenant-colonel le 18 juillet 1915, il est tué le 25 septembre. Son témoignage se distingue par l'indépendance de ses opinions et la sympathie qu'il exprime à l'égard des simples soldats. (Témoins, p.501-503)

Source: http://www.association14-18.org/references..._cont.htm#ri116

Paul,

Thank you very much for the information, it is quite helpful in my current research. I have far too many reference books in German that only mention the 'enemy' and never identify the units.

You have given me some good leads and I will see what else I can locate, thanks again.

Best regards,

Ralph

Guest olivier

Hi everybody,

Ralph, I have the two books mentionned by Paul ; and indeed, the 116th IR was in Hamel during july 1915. Samuel Bourguet wrote (hope the traduction is correct !) :

"19th July 1915 :

I leave Hamel and have to prepare the relieve by the Scottish troops, rectify plans and orders."

Jacques d'Arnoux, whose father commanded the 116th IR, only mention the period from the 15th to 25th september 1915 in his book.

Best sunny regards from the French Riviera :D

Olivier

Guest olivier

And for those who understand French, here’s the « Historique du régiment » :

"Affaire de Thiepval :

Le 10 avril 1915, peu après minuit, une violente attaque allemande déferle sur nos lignes au bois de Thiepval. Pendant une heure, les combats vont faire rage contre un ennemi qui a envahi nos premières tranchées, et qui tend à s’y répandre.

Une contre-attaque, rondement menée, va réussir à chasser l’envahisseur de nos positions, et nous permettre de rétablir intégralement nos lignes. Au cours de la lutte les pertes ont été sérieuses.

Après cette attaque, le secteur redevient calme malgré les arrosages quotidiens de l’artillerie ennemie. Le 16 avril, nouveau renfort d’un officier et de 320 hommes ; le 27 juin, de 87 hommes ; le 22 juillet, d’un officier et de 155 hommes.

Peu de faits marquants jusqu’au 28 juillet, à part la tentative infructueuse d’un coup de main allemand sur le saillant nord-est du bois de Thiepval.

Le 31 juillet et le 1er août, le régiment est relevé par les troupes anglaises. Il quitte définitivement le secteur de Thiepval, où il a perdu depuis novembre une centaine de tués et plus de 200 blessés."

Best regards,

Olivier

Thank you Olivier, Every bit helps. I was recently able to determine two regiments in Thiepval Wood in late 1914. While there is a gap in the dates I have regimental information on I hope to have it filled soon.

Regards,

Ralph