Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W G Pigott Royal Irish Rifles

BrendanLee

Looking for information on 41200 W G Pigott Royal Irish Rifles died 21/09/1918. I have his CWGC details but am trying to establish if he served in the Royal Irish Constabulary before enlisting and any details of his service with the RIC. I have a W G Pigott on a list of RIC men who enlisted in the army, enlistment would have been before December 1916, possibly served with the 4th Hussars. Any information gratefully appreciated.

There was a William Gregor Pigott born Co Meath about 1885 who enlisted in the RIC in 1910.

Aled

Thank you for the information Aled. According to the CWGC his parents were from Meath and he was 33 when he died although I cannot find him on the 1901 or 1911 Irish census.

Willie Pigott is my first cousin, once removed. He was born 3 Mar. 1885 in Kells, Co. Meath and is on the 1901 Census at Rodstown, Martrey, Co. Meath in the house of his uncle (my Grand-uncle) Charles Pigott. Willie joined the RIC in 1910 at Waterford , enlistment No. 2088/1188 and was stationed at Portlaw. Maybe he was out all night on duty and 'avoided' the 1911 Census.

He married on 4 Feb 1913 but did not have permission. Because of this his previous service was lost and on re-enlistment ( No. 2092/57) he was posted to Ballybunnion, Co. Kerry.

After war broke out Willie joined the 4th Hussars, enlisting at Tralee ( No. 24620). He transferred to the 15th Bn. RIR ( No. 41200) as a Rfn. and saw action on the Somme from July-Sept. 1916. On 1st July the 15th Bn.were subjected to a powerful counter-attack from fresh German troops. The 15th held their position through the night until relieved by units from the 49th Div. At roll call the next day only 75 men answered their names, the dead accounting for over half of their losses.

Willie was taken prisoner - some time later on, I'm not sure when - and was sent to the PoW camp at Limburg. He died on an electric fence whilst escaping with others and is the only Great War service casualty in the Veldwezelt Communal Cemetery, Lanakan, Limburg, Belgium.

Hope this helps. Please come back if you have any queries and I'll do my best to find the answers.

He is not mentioned in the Waterford Newspapers.

Cheers.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately that's par for the course. It's only relatively recently that those who served in the Great war and WW2 were given their fair recognition in Waterford. Shame because Waterford had a high contingent of men who served many of whom died in the 1914-18 war.

Worth a read is " The Waterford War Dead, A History of the Casualties of the Great War " , Tom Burnell (The History Press of Ireland , 2010)

Tom Burnell eh, I've heard that name before somewheres...

Willie Pigott is my first cousin, once removed. He was born 3 Mar. 1885 in Kells, Co. Meath and is on the 1901 Census at Rodstown, Martrey, Co. Meath in the house of his uncle (my Grand-uncle) Charles Pigott. Willie joined the RIC in 1910 at Waterford , enlistment No. 2088/1188 and was stationed at Portlaw. Maybe he was out all night on duty and 'avoided' the 1911 Census.

He married on 4 Feb 1913 but did not have permission. Because of this his previous service was lost and on re-enlistment ( No. 2092/57) he was posted to Ballybunnion, Co. Kerry.

After war broke out Willie joined the 4th Hussars, enlisting at Tralee ( No. 24620). He transferred to the 15th Bn. RIR ( No. 41200) as a Rfn. and saw action on the Somme from July-Sept. 1916. On 1st July the 15th Bn.were subjected to a powerful counter-attack from fresh German troops. The 15th held their position through the night until relieved by units from the 49th Div. At roll call the next day only 75 men answered their names, the dead accounting for over half of their losses.

Wille was taken prisoner - some time later on, I'm not sure when - and was sent to the PoW camp at Limburg. He died on an electric fence whilst escaping with others and is the only Great War service casualty in the Veldwezelt Communal Cemetery, Lanakan, Limburg, Belgium.

Hope this helps. Please come back if you have any queries and I'll do my best to find the answers.

Hi port lairge,

Thank you for the information and welcome to the GWF. I havea list of men who enlisted from the RIC for service between 1914 and 1916, I was contacted through the website by a person in Belgium looking for more information on W G Pigott. The person who contacted me was from Lanaken and is researching the local graveyard where W G Pigott is buried. I have passed on the information to them and will also add it to my website.

http://www.irishmeda...rg/gpage61.html

Hi , and thankyou for the welcome !

Jeepers Tom... I had no idea. Well, it's a fabulous book, I love it. And, the intro by Kevin Myers is great too. May God be good to those who fell, RIP.

Glad the information was useful BLee. Thankyou for the link, looks like you've been busy, there's great work there. if you need more on WG just let me know. His father was in the RIC as well. Hi Ulsterlad2, great to meet you.

Hope to be in France later this month and will visit Willie's grave and that of another cousin - Sgt. George Henry ( Harry) Pigott 23401, 8th Bn Canadian 203rd Regt who lies in the Manitoba Cemetery at Caix near Amiens.. Eight cousins of mine, and an uncle on the mother's side served in the conflict and a granduncle on dad's side . His side were either too old or too young in 1914 but have a great history of soldiering from the mid 1800's. up to WW2., mainly in Irish and Scottish Regiments.

Hi , and thankyou for the welcome !

Jeepers Tom... I had no idea. Well, it's a fabulous book, I love it. And, the intro by Kevin Myers is great too. May God be good to those who fell, RIP.

Glad the information was useful BLee. Thankyou for the link, looks like you've been busy, there's great work there. if you need more on WG just let me know. His father was in the RIC as well. Hi Ulsterlad2, great to meet you.

Hope to be in France later this month and will visit Willie's grave and that of another cousin - Sgt. George Henry ( Harry) Pigott 23401, 8th Bn Canadian 203rd Regt who lies in the Manitoba Cemetery at Caix near Amiens.. Eight cousins of mine, and an uncle on the mother's side served in the conflict and a granduncle on dad's side . His side were either too old or too young in 1914 but have a great history of soldiering from the mid 1800's. up to WW2., mainly in Irish and Scottish Regiments.

Hi port lairge,

Can you giveme brief details of his father's service with the RIC, I want these for thewebsite to show the family connection to the RIC.

Do you haveany details of W G Pigott's escape, how many escaped with him, do you know whothey were, how far did they get, did anyone escape to freedom. Was the Limburg camp he escaped from in Belgium or Germany, I tried looking it up on Googlemaps but found a Limburg in German and Belgium.

Willie Pigott's RIC service number was actually 65570. Herlihy has him as being electrocuted on 18th Sep 1918 but I don't know on what basis that date is stated.

I bet if you got hold of his RIC service record you'd find he was actually at the Phoenix Park Depot at the time of the 1911 census, part of No. 4 Company and in training. He would have been transferred to Portlaw on completion I guess. If I'm right he may also have held previous army service prior to joining the RIC.

W. G. Pigott is indeed electrocuted on the 18th of September 1918 in Veldwezelt (now Lanaken, province of Limburg, Belgium). On the morning of the 19th of September 8 am his body is found near the electric fence, as is stated in the communal register of Veldwezelt (noticed on 9.10.1918). He is buried on the 21th of September on the communal cemetery of Veldwezelt. The electric fence is build bij the Germans in 1915 on the hole length of the Belgian-Holland border, because there was important traffic (goods, persons, spies) between occupied Belgium via neutral Holland to England, France and the non-occupied part of Belgium behind the river IJzer (the Westhoek).

Here are some more Irish Pigotts found hanging around;

Royal Dublin Fusiliers;-

B;- Private James Boland, wounded; Private Joseph Bolton, prisoner in Germany; Corporal Michael Brady.

C;- Private Peter Conroy.

D;- Private Charles Dawson ( wounded Suvla Bay and invalided), Private Thomas Daly (killed 23-December-1915).

F;- Private John Farrington (wounded France and Suvla Bay), Private Frederick Farrington (invalided), Capt Michael Fitzgibbon (killed 1915), Private Thomas Furlong (killed 01-July-1916).

G;- Private Joseph Guinan (invalided); Private Joseph Green.

H;- Private Christopher Hensey (died at Solonika 19-November-1915), Private John Hoey (wounded three times), Private C J. Hickey, Private Thomas Holohan (killed Suvla Bay 12-July-1915). Private Joseph Haines.

K;- Private Michael Killeavy (wounded), Private Peter Kelly, Private Joseph Keely.

L;-Sergt C. J. Lee.

M;- Private Joseph McEvoy, Sergt H. McAllen.

P;- Private William Pigott, Second Lieutenant V. G. Pierce, Sergeant James Plunkett, wounded in France; now serving in India.

PIGOTT, M. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Army Service Corps. Age at death: 36. Date of Death: 30-March-1918. Service No: S/19785. Supplementary information: Husband of Catherine Pigott, of Henry St. , Graigue-Cullen, Carlow. This man is not in any other database. Grave or Memorial Reference: 4. 10. 1. Cemetery: Carlow (ST. Mary's) Cemetery, County Carlow.

PIGOTT, WILLIAM GREGORY. Rank: Rifleman. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Rifles. Unit: 15th Battalion. Age at death; 33. Date of Death: 21-September-1918. Service No: 41200. Previously he was with the 4th Hussars where his number was 24620. Enlisted in Tralee, County Kerry while living in Portlaw. Killed in Action.

Supplementary information; Son of George and the late May Pigott, of Kells, Co. Meath; husband of Maria Alicia Pigott, of 3, William St, Portlaw, Co. Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: In North-West part. Cemetery: Veldwezelt Communal Cemetery in Belgium.

PEMBERTON PIGOTT, ERIC JOHN KEEFE. Rank, Lt. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit; 1st Bn. Date of Death; 24-June-1916. Age at Death, 21. He was a Grandson of Captain Pemberton Pigott of Slevoy Castle. Son of Surg. Col. F. K. Pigott, late of Belmont House, Shrewsbury. Killed in Action. Grave or Memorial Reference: Grave or Memorial Reference: Plot 3. Row A. Grave 27. From an article in a Wexford newspaper; Lieut Pemberton Pigott Killed. The casualty lists this week contained the name of Lieut Eric Pemberton Pigott as being killed in action.

The deceased young officer was a member of one of the oldest County Wexford families, and the sad announcement was learned with deep regret by a host of friends in Wexford. He was the son of Dr Frederick Pemberton Pigott, of Shrewsbury, Shropshire, grandson of the late Capt Pemberton Pigott, of Slevoy Castle, Wexford, and nephew of Mrs John E Barry and Mrs Charles Barry, of Rocklands, Wexford. Little more than a year ago Lieut Pigott, who was only 19 years of age, obtained a commission in the army, and was gazetted to the Royal Irish Regiment. Prior to the outbreak of war he served in India and was drafted to the front last Autumn. During the terrible campaign in the opening stages of the war Lieut Pigott took part in many engagements until he was invalided home suffering from frost bite.

Whilst on leave he participated in the recruiting campaign being conducted in Ireland and delivered stirring appeals at Kilkenny and Cork. About a month ago he was sent out on active service again and rejoined his Regiment. In a gallant effort to save his guns Lieut Pigott was killed instantaneously. The Catholic Chaplain of the Regiment and the Commanding Officer wrote to the deceased’s parents giving a graphic description of Lieut Pigott’s bravery and telling how he died a hero’s death. Cemetery, Houplines Communal Cemetery Extension in France.

Cheers.

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

Willie was taken prisoner - some time later on, I'm not sure when - and was sent to the PoW camp at Limburg. He died on an electric fence whilst escaping with others and is the only Great War service casualty in the Veldwezelt Communal Cemetery, Lanakan, Limburg, Belgium.

This photo is part (between Veldwezelt (Belgium) and Maastricht (Holland) of an original German map of the electric fence, build by the German army from August 1915 on.

End of 1915 the whole length (300 km) of the Belgian-Holland border was electrifiedpost-77317-0-42683700-1313841228.jpg

In the communal registers of Veldwezelt ar also mentionned the dead (by electrocution on the fence) of two Frenchmen (Pinel and Montjean) and one Russian POW.

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately that's par for the course. It's only relatively recently that those who served in the Great war and WW2 were given their fair recognition in Waterford. Shame because Waterford had a high contingent of men who served many of whom died in the 1914-18 war.

Worth a read is " The Waterford War Dead, A History of the Casualties of the Great War " , Tom Burnell (The History Press of Ireland , 2010)

W. G. Pigoot is mentioned in Burnell, The Wateford War Dead, but his date of dead is not correct. W.G. Pigott is buried the 21 of September, but he died propably in the night of the 18-19 September. His body is found on the morning of the 19th September. See copie of communal register Veldwezelt.

post-77317-0-82283500-1313842468.jpg

PIGOTT

Initials: W G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Rifles

Unit Text: 15th Bn.

Date of Death: 21/09/1918

Service No: 41200

Additional information: Son of George and the late May Pigott, of Kells, Co. Meath; husband of Maria Alicia Pigott, of 3, William St., Portlaw, Co. Waterford.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: In North-West part.

Cemetery: VELDWEZELT COMMUNAL CEMETERY

However SDGW gives 18-September-1918.

Cheers.

Tom.

• 7 months later...

Hi Port Lairge,

Do you have more information about the escape from the POW camp in Limburg? Who were the others that escaped with him? How was it possible for him to make the trip from Limburg (Germany) to Veldwezelt (Lanaken, Belgium)? I should expect it was easier to go from Germany directly to Holland (no electric fence to cross). Or was he, at the moment of the escape, not in the POW camp Limburg, but in a dependance in the vicinity of the German-Belgian border?

Next month (may 2012) we visit Ireland (the area of Waterford). As members of the local heritage board, who care about his grave in Veldwezelt, we would appreciate if we could contact you as a descendant of the family of W G Pigott.

• 2 months later...
Guest jamser

Hi Port Lairge,

My name is Niall James Pigott, and my grandfather was John Drummond Pigott, brother to Willie.

My phone number is 0469434113, 0867921533, niallpigott@gmail.com. I would like to talk to you about some family matters, if that suits you.

Niall,

personal info such as phone numbers shouldn't be posted. You might want to delete that info, up your number of posts and then send a Private Message to Port Lairge.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

JD

• 7 years later...
On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2011 at 23:32, museumtom said:

Here are some more Irish Pigotts found hanging around;

Royal Dublin Fusiliers;-

B;- Private James Boland, wounded; Private Joseph Bolton, prisoner in Germany; Corporal Michael Brady.

C;- Private Peter Conroy.

D;- Private Charles Dawson ( wounded Suvla Bay and invalided), Private Thomas Daly (killed 23-December-1915).

F;- Private John Farrington (wounded France and Suvla Bay), Private Frederick Farrington (invalided), Capt Michael Fitzgibbon (killed 1915), Private Thomas Furlong (killed 01-July-1916).

G;- Private Joseph Guinan (invalided); Private Joseph Green.

H;- Private Christopher Hensey (died at Solonika 19-November-1915), Private John Hoey (wounded three times), Private C J. Hickey, Private Thomas Holohan (killed Suvla Bay 12-July-1915). Private Joseph Haines.

K;- Private Michael Killeavy (wounded), Private Peter Kelly, Private Joseph Keely.

L;-Sergt C. J. Lee.

M;- Private Joseph McEvoy, Sergt H. McAllen.

P;- Private William Pigott, Second Lieutenant V. G. Pierce, Sergeant James Plunkett, wounded in France; now serving in India.

PIGOTT, M. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Army Service Corps. Age at death: 36. Date of Death: 30-March-1918. Service No: S/19785. Supplementary information: Husband of Catherine Pigott, of Henry St. , Graigue-Cullen, Carlow. This man is not in any other database. Grave or Memorial Reference: 4. 10. 1. Cemetery: Carlow (ST. Mary's) Cemetery, County Carlow.

PIGOTT, WILLIAM GREGORY. Rank: Rifleman. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Rifles. Unit: 15th Battalion. Age at death; 33. Date of Death: 21-September-1918. Service No: 41200. Previously he was with the 4th Hussars where his number was 24620. Enlisted in Tralee, County Kerry while living in Portlaw. Killed in Action.

Supplementary information; Son of George and the late May Pigott, of Kells, Co. Meath; husband of Maria Alicia Pigott, of 3, William St, Portlaw, Co. Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: In North-West part. Cemetery: Veldwezelt Communal Cemetery in Belgium.

PEMBERTON PIGOTT, ERIC JOHN KEEFE. Rank, Lt. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit; 1st Bn. Date of Death; 24-June-1916. Age at Death, 21. He was a Grandson of Captain Pemberton Pigott of Slevoy Castle. Son of Surg. Col. F. K. Pigott, late of Belmont House, Shrewsbury. Killed in Action. Grave or Memorial Reference: Grave or Memorial Reference: Plot 3. Row A. Grave 27. From an article in a Wexford newspaper; Lieut Pemberton Pigott Killed. The casualty lists this week contained the name of Lieut Eric Pemberton Pigott as being killed in action.

The deceased young officer was a member of one of the oldest County Wexford families, and the sad announcement was learned with deep regret by a host of friends in Wexford. He was the son of Dr Frederick Pemberton Pigott, of Shrewsbury, Shropshire, grandson of the late Capt Pemberton Pigott, of Slevoy Castle, Wexford, and nephew of Mrs John E Barry and Mrs Charles Barry, of Rocklands, Wexford. Little more than a year ago Lieut Pigott, who was only 19 years of age, obtained a commission in the army, and was gazetted to the Royal Irish Regiment. Prior to the outbreak of war he served in India and was drafted to the front last Autumn. During the terrible campaign in the opening stages of the war Lieut Pigott took part in many engagements until he was invalided home suffering from frost bite.

Whilst on leave he participated in the recruiting campaign being conducted in Ireland and delivered stirring appeals at Kilkenny and Cork. About a month ago he was sent out on active service again and rejoined his Regiment. In a gallant effort to save his guns Lieut Pigott was killed instantaneously. The Catholic Chaplain of the Regiment and the Commanding Officer wrote to the deceased’s parents giving a graphic description of Lieut Pigott’s bravery and telling how he died a hero’s death. Cemetery, Houplines Communal Cemetery Extension in France.

Cheers.

Tom.

You missed out Private RICHARD PIGOTT of Cork City. Enlisted (1908) in the 4th Battalion of Royal Munster Fusiliers, posted to the 2nd, posted to India with another Battalion (1st) and later WW1. Private Pigott died in Gallipoli on the first day of fighting, April 1915. I doubt that he even made it onto the beaches. 

Private RICHARD PIGOTT of Cork City. Enlisted (1908) in the 4th Battalion of Royal Munster Fusiliers, posted to the 2nd, posted to India with another Battalion (1st) and later WW1. Private Pigott died in Gallipoli on the first day of fighting, April 1915. I doubt that he even made it onto the beaches.

There are nine WW I casualties of the name Pigott (with two possible duplicates) on the Inventory of Irish War Memorials - link here. Some of them are not mentioned above.

Michael