Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Died at sea

Don

Hello fellow researchers,

Is there anybody who has researched the 5th Battlion Royal Irish Regiment's activities in the Balkans

I'm looking for info about my relative.Would anybody know the following. What ship did he die on,

Were the 10th division leaving for Egypt around the date of his death.

I enclose some details and SDGW shows "died at sea"

Name: Joseph Cavanagh

Birth Place: Ramsgrange, Co Wexford

Residence: Ebbw Vale, Mon.

Death Date: 13 Sep 1917

Death Location: At Sea

Enlistment Location: Brecon

Regiment: Royal Irish Regiment

Battalion: 5th Battalion

Number: 9634

Type of Casualty: Died

Theatre of War: At Sea

Regards and hoping for some info

The 10th Division went to Salonika directly from Gallipoli in late 1915 and held the line near Kosturino in one of the first battles of the campaign. They were en route for Egypt at this time. Long Long Trail (link at the top of every page) can tell you more about his Battalion and the Division.

Keith

It sounds as if he either died on passage to Greece, or more likely aboard a hospital ship.

CWGC shows:-

Name: CAVANAGH, JOSEPH. Rank: Lance Corporal

Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Additional information: Son of the late Charles Brian Cavanagh, of Duncannon Fort, Co. Wexford.

Memorial: DOIRAN MEMORIAL

Maybe the War Diary might have better info?

His Medal Index Card only records him as Private 9634 and entitlement to British War and Victory medals, meaning not in a Theatre of War until after 1915.....

Unfortunately, I can't find Service or pension record for him....

Doh! I see you had all of this over a year ago.... sorry, didn't see the original thread till after posting this.......

His death certificate might list the ship and cause of death

From GRO War Death Army Other Ranks (1914 to1921)

year 1917

volume I.77

page 35

Grant

Thank you lads for the info,

I will have to make a visit to Kew later on in the year.

Kevin,

I have a Irish Times cutting listing him as been been injured on the 5th June 1915 in the 2nd battlion RIR

As he appears in 'The Wexford War Dead';-

CAVANAGH, JOSEPH. Rank: Lance Corporal. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit: 5th Bn. Age at Death: 33. Date of Death: 13-September-1917. Service No: 9634. Born in Ramsgrange, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Brecon while living in Ebbw Vale, Monmouthshire. Died at Sea. Supplementary information; Son of the late Charles Brian Cavanagh of Duncannon Fort, Co. Wexford. Memorial: Doiran Memorial in Greece.

Many thanks Grant and museumtom

Dorian Memorial.

I intend to pay a visit there and say a few prayers for his soul and leave a poppy.But If I can find somehere near where he was burried at sea it would be nice to pay a tribute, if not the Dorian memorial will be the next best place. His memory was forgotten.

Maybe in Ebbvale he was remembered by local people.And as the song says "did he leave a wife or a girlfriend behind".

I don't know.The fact that he was a regular soldier and joined up around 1908-+ and was in India before war broke out seems to tell me No.

re India( so I was told by a chap here on the site his service number is for a round that year

I only vaguely remember My Mother speaking about him once or twice. She told me he died of Malaria

I would also like to ask .

Would there be any records of his service in India

Don

Doiran Memorial is a very beautiful spot and, like all CWGC sites, is immaculately kept. My photos of it are HERE. I don't know whether you can drive to it but we walked up from Doiran Military Cemetery and it's quite a trudge on a warm day.

Here's the view from the Cemetery towards the Memorial:

Doiran%20Cem_B.JPG

Keith

Doiran Memorial is a very beautiful spot and, like all CWGC sites, is immaculately kept. My photos of it are HERE. I don't know whether you can drive to it but we walked up from Doiran Military Cemetery and it's quite a trudge on a warm day. Here's the view from the Cemetery towards the Memorial: Doiran%20Cem_B.JPG Keith
Well Keith. It's amazing I really want to pay a visit after seeing that remarkable Photo. Thank you. for some strange reason I have now got a sense of the place where he was stationed, up to now it was just words and documents But that picture you just sent has given me a strong reason for making a trip and to pay my respect

Be aware that it's right up against the border with FYROM (the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia) so you'll need to plan your route with care because you can't take a Greek hire-car out of the country. It isn't a tourist area so people won't speak English as a matter of course, as you'd expect them to in France and Flanders, so you need to have at least a smattering of Greek. Forum Pals Romeo Drobarov, Alan Wakefield and Adrian Wright should be able to give you some pointers. They know a lot more about exploring around there than I do. They will also be able to offer suggestions of other places for you to see while you're over there. As you'll see from my web-pages, there are some truly beautiful and unspoiled places to enjoy on both sides of the border.

By the way, it's best to use the Fast Reply option unless you need to copy text from a post to reply to. Threads can get quickly cluttered if everything's copied over and over again

Keith

Many thanks Keith for the tips, I will get in contact with the Guys.

I was thinking of bringing my Wife alongs aswell,But as you say it's a bit of a truck up the hill, and that might cause problems for her

Regards

Don