Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Storage and shipment of SMLE rifles

DRoth137

After searching through Google looking for Enfield transit cases and only finding details on the No 4T Sniper case I thought I'd pose the question to those here on this forum. I'm trying to figure out how rifles would have been transported en-mass to front line units or would it be more appropriate to say to ordnance or RQ stores. I've gone through my copies of the List of Changes until my eyes felt like they were going to fall out and only came upon 16612 for Webley self loading pistols, but alas nothing else. I'm trying to reproduce some of the more mundane aspects of military life of soldiers with the CEF, the ammo crates are done with full loads of dummy 303, a Vickers case may be next but right now my wish is to find the specs for the SMLE case. Can anyone here help?

I thought perhaps the ASC Training manual (1909) Pt 2 might have the details, as someone had mentioned that it had information on ration crates but to date I haven't been able to find a copy of this particular volume. I was able to find all the volumes with the exception of Part 2 through DP&G Publications but no Part 2. Again......can anyone help?

Thanks.

We got shipments in an ordinary wooden box and the rifles wrapped in oilcloth or some such material. I'm not sure that anyone designed specific containers (other thn the factory box). Antony

In Oz I saw them (Rifle No 1 Mk III) moved in Chest Small Arms Rifle or some such (it is remembered nomenclenture) with 20 weapons in each. The same Chest was used for the Rifle 7.62mm. This was late 1960's and the Chests were actually marked in the 1940's.