Remembered Today:

Wound stripes...

Matt Dixon

I am researching a man who was wounded four times:

7th August 1915: Right little finger shot off, and lost one toe

4th June 1917: Bullet wound to left ankle

19th October 1917: Gunshot wound to right buttock

January 1918: Severely gassed.

Would being gassed entitle one to a wound stripe?

Matt.

If of help about thirty years ago along with my late father we visited a lady the widow of a man my father had served with in WW2.

On the wall was a picture of her father in WW1 army uniform, with wound stripes, later inthe day I met the veteran in person and asked him about his time in the army including being wounded, he was in fact wearing the wound stripes due to the fact that he had been gassed.

He said that he and several of his mates did not like wearing wound stripes but were ordered to do so by their CO, I have often thought about our conversation, not I must confess about the classification regarding being gassed counted as wounded or wound stripes, but as to the dislike or not of the wearing of wound stripes by soldiers.

It would be interesting to see what answers you get from your post, as regards to the official classification, lets hope an expert on the subject contributes.

David.

Your response, Crispy, about the man not being keen to wear his wound stripe comes as a surprise. (Though, as a fellow ex-REME man, I`m sure you`re spot on).

When you see the men on photos, they look as if they`re trying to get their wound stripes into view. You`ll know the technique! Phil B

I don't know if he is entitled or not, but a trip to the aid station for medical treatment from a doctor should qualify him. Soldiers did die from the stuff.

Being a student of human nature, some do and some don't insofar as the wearing of wound stripes. I qualify for a Purple Heart (US equivalent of a wound stripe)from 'Nam but am reluctant to discuss it. Some guys I know personally who were wounded over there and qualified for it never claimed it or wore it. Others who fell off of an ammo box trotted right over to the adjutant to fill out the papers. Go figger......(or ask that c---- John Kerry who passes himself off as a veteran)

I never ask a vet how he got his "heart" as two things were stoppers for me:

1. It might bring up old memories that the vet would just as soon forget.

2. If one is wounded in a place that generally not discussed in a public forum, the vet would be reluctant to discuss it.

Hope this helps, even if it doesn't answer your question.

DrB

:)

A wound badge was awarded for each occasion wounded [not for each wound] and was most definitely for wounds caused by gas. Even German barbed wire counted for wounding.

I am trying to identify all badges worn by a grand-uncle on a very old (and very small!) picture. Joseph Vachon served with the C.E.F. 22nd (French-Canadians) battalion, the "Van-Doos". I clearly recognize the 1915 edition cap badge with the beaver (which I have) and the C/22 collar badges (for Canada / 22nd battalion). However, how would the wound stripes look like and where would they be located on the uniform (he was wounded on the Somme and at Vimy)?

Also, he is wearing crossed rifles at the bottom of his right sleeve. He was appearently a sniper. Was there actually a badge for that? He also served with the cavalry in the militia - any relation? Sadly, we know little of his experience, as he passed away from the Spanish flu, while recovering from an operation at the Montreal General Hospital in October 1918.

Finally, I have also a small button that says "England trusts every man to do his duty" written around a Union Jack. Is this from WW1 or WW2? Since all my uncles and grand-uncles who served in both wars are gone, I have no one left to ask!

Your replies will be appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. Please excuse my very average english, since it is not my first language.

Juice

There are a few examples of the wound stripe mainly in metal and cloth the most common are metal. below is a scan of a typical metal wound stripe without the backing plate.

by the way welcome to the forum good to see another Canadian amoung the ranks.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

post-23-1090114496.jpg

Juice

Below is a photo of three 25th Battaloin C.E.F. men Left to right Sgt. J Taylor, Sgt.E. Moultin and Sgt. G. Chisson all three were wounded Sgt. taylor twice. The wound Stripe is located near the bottom of the left sleeve.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

post-23-1090114908.jpg

Thank you N.S. Regt. for the information. I actually have one of the stripes then! I had no idea what it was.

My grand-uncle fought alongside the 25th CEF (Nova Scotia Rifles) at the battle of Courcelette, September 15-18, 1916 and at Regina trench October 1st, where he suffered is first gun shot wound (GSW). The two units worked closely together within the 5th brigade.

Best regards,

Juice

Juice

Glad to help there is more information on wound stripes on the forum go to the search feature at the top of the page. where it says search post from click any date you will get moe hits. The 22nd and 25th had spent quite a bit of time together in the trenches the war diary of the 25th makes numerous mentions of them. The comanding officer of the 22nd recomended Capt W.A. Livingstone of the 25th for the Victoria Cross ( he received a bar to the M.C. ) for Hill 70.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.