Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GROUSE BUTT

Guest JIM EDWARDS

Guest JIM EDWARDS

Can anyone identify the position occupied by 7th S.L.I , Feb 1916. "South of a position called Lancashire Farm in a rough line to GROUSE BUTT". Visit to IWM revealed the former but blowed if I could find Grouse Butt.

Hi Jim

The area of trenches near Boesinghe that you refer to were very water logged and continuous trenches could not always be built at the time the 7/Som.L.I. were there (February- April 1916), butts were built in some areas, these were called grouse butts. These butts were number, and for example Butt 17 was near Skipton and Nile trenches.

Annette

The 7th SLI (B & D Coys.) occupied a series of shell holes at the time in a line south of Lancashire farm which ran from D. 22 to the Grouse Butt, No. 17. C Coy was in support posts along the Canal bank and A Coy. in reserve was also along the Canal bank.

Annette unwittingly(?) gives the right answer as no. 17 was Grouse Butt.

Hi Martin

Quote - gives the right answer as no. 17 was Grouse Butt.

Martin all the butts were known as Grouse Butts ?, so it should be grouse Butt No. 17 and not no. 17 was Grouse Butt ? or am I braking up the wrong tree ?

I would be showing the funny faces instead of question marks but mine do not seem to working ?

Jim for your interest a fellow Bakers Pal - Brendon Moorhouse as produced a book on the 7/Som.L.I.

Annette

Guest JIM EDWARDS

Would I be pushing my luck if I asked some kind member to post a map of the position. I took my digital camera along to the IWM but I'm afraid the results reflect my camera skill which is about as poor as my research skill.

Somewhere around here?

Dave...

post-4-1089750815.jpg

Guest JIM EDWARDS

Thanks for the map. Could you indulge me by going a bit further north as, according to an earlier post, Grouse Butt was near Skipton & Nile trenches.

Thanks once again.

Jim Edwards

Hi Jim

There may not be a map with these grouse butts mentioned by number or name, I have great map for section to the right of Dave's map. It is very detailed and mentions trench names but the butts are not named or evan marked by numbers. The only reason I know Butt 17 was near Skipton & Nile trenches is because the 6/K.S.L.I. diary records that they took over front line and supports in Skipton & Nile trenches and Butt 17.

I am not saying there is not a map out there with the butts named or numbers - War diary usauly had maps attached but I believe the PRO removed them from the diaries and filed them elsewhere ?

Annette

It seems that all the Buts were Grouse Butts...Dec 15 War Diary of 2/1 West Riding REs "most work done on the new line. The object of the work was to provide a discontinuous series of "Grouse Butts" behind the firing line". Another diary says week 22/1/16 to 31/1/16, butts 22,23 completed, Butt 18 old portions completerd, mg position rebuilt, "Butt 17 begun, extensions of two firebays on each wing required, ...".

Also have some maps, will scan these but poor quality b/w I'm afraid, Peter.

Thanks for the map. Could you indulge me by going a bit further north as, according to an earlier post, Grouse Butt was near Skipton & Nile trenches.

Thanks once again.

Jim Edwards

Your wish is my command! :D

Dave.

post-4-1089984938.jpg

This forum is so good, I wish it was around in 2000, I could have used the extra details in yours maps Peter back then. Anyway I can still add them to my map for future referance.

Annette