The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Carnoy Military Cemetery

unitedsound

I was really disappointed last weekend to find that many of the headstones in Carnoy MC have lost their inscriptions due to the weather.

I wonder if there are any plans to refurbish the headstones?

David

I'm popping into the CWGC HQ in Beaurains sometime in the next week. I will raise the issue and ask.

Jim

Many thanks Jim.

David

• Admin

A massive project- many of the stones in Puchevillers were very eroded when I was there last week. By contrast all the stones in Fifteen Ravine had been recut earlier this year.

Michelle

Michelle

I was in a large number of cemeteries last week and one in particular looked as though it had been refurbished to a very high standard. Sorry can't remember which one.

Let's hope Carnoy is high on the list as it was a shame to see such luminaries as Nevill and Budge; and of course my GU, in such poor condition.

thanks

David

• 4 weeks later...

Message passed on over concerns. It is a 7 year programme around the French cemeteries. I did comment that local conditions such as trees etc caused some cemeteries to suffer more than others. The point was taken but I'm not sure of any change will come from it. I also made a comment that some of the gardening was now so good that I had the feeling there was a regular cemetery of the month award, or gardening team of the month award. That was met by such an embarrassed laugh that I have a feeling I hit the nail somewhere on the head but they were not willing to confirm. Maybe they feel some would find it in bad taste - I wouldn't.

Jim

Whilst on the topic of CWCG, Pals should note that there are a number of burials taking place on the 1st and 2nd September, all unknowns unfortunately although some unit details are known. Details are on the CWCG web site. Anyone in any of the areas may wish to pay their respects.

Jim