The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

How to fold a great-coat.

rayoung74

Wotcha gang.

A relatively easy one I hope. How is the Greatcoat folded for storage in the large-pack? The coat I have is a late war untility pattern type.

Thanks in advance

Youngie

<br />Wotcha gang.<br />             A relatively easy one I hope. How is the Greatcoat folded for storage in the large-pack? The coat I have is a late war untility pattern type.  <br /><br />Thanks in advance<br /><br />Youngie<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Not sure about this, but if memory serves, we folded ours thus:

Lay the greatcoat flat on it's back, bring one arm up and put the cuff across to the opposite shoulder, do the same with the other arm and lay it on top of the first. Fold greatcoat in half up to the arms, then in half again up to the collar. It then used to fit on top of all the other kit in the bag. I seem to remember we sometimes folded it again, but across the width this time.

I remembered a previous thread about this, see here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136623&st=0&p=1302163

For anyone picking up on this older thread which I in fact started, can I go on to say that some time later I managed to procure one of the reproduction Greatcoats which Taff's photographs illustrate. These are (in my opinion) truly superb reproductions of a substantial item of uniform clothing, and a great testament to all those involved in bringing together all the relevant details to enable the replicators to actually produce them. If by chance anyone wants any more detailed pictures of the coat; taken in daylight, then please get in touch as I'm in a position to help.

Further to the above, I acted on the detailed advice Taff supplied on how to fold the beast (bearing in mind mine is for a 6' well proportioned individual), and was astonished to find that you really can compact it down so it will actualy go into a Valise (Large Pack). There wasn't too much room for anything else, which does beggar the question where do the spare boots and whatever end up going, but the point is the Greatcoat can be got into the pack!

What I would now be interested to know, is how was the Greatcoat rolled and secured, when it was worn wrapped around the shoulders?

Dave

Possibly a little off course but my Wife's grandfather told me that he had a pre folded (and stitched in place) great coat that he used for kit inspection whilst the one he actually wore was less ceremoniously stuffed in the top of a kit bag.

Lot of that sort of thing went on in peacetime. It's specifically banned these days.

Bet it still goes on though

"There wasn't too much room for anything else, which does beggar the question where do the spare boots and whatever end up going, but the point is the Greatcoat can be got into the pack!"

Hi Dave,

One of my party tricks (taught by a pre-War Bootneck mate of my Dad's) on early Khaki Chums tours was to demonstrate, to an unbelieving bunch of Chums, how to get the Greatcoat folded small enough to drop in the pack without it touching the sides! If done properly you can get the Mess Tins, spare shirt, spare socks, etc in the pack with no problems at all. Spare boots were never carried in the Pack.

It does involve a lot of squeezing, bashing and heaving to get it into a small enough size to get the half belt around but, with perseverance, you can manage it!

Cheers,

Taff