Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sea Side Tank

centurion

Practising or evaluating the use of tanks for the amphibious landing on the Flanders coast that was talked about in 1917?

It would appear to be sitting on mud rather than bucket and spade beach sand, although there is a muddy creek that runs up by Shoreham airport so it could have been taken there. I think the beach at Shoreham is more like Brighton, a tad stoney, but I have not been there in years. There is nothing in the photograph to suggest Shoreham compared to any other part of the UK or F & F.

Gareth

Weren't tanks exhibited at various towns and cities as fundraising exercises to help support their production?

Many people found their tracked motion fascinating - it wouldn't be surprising to run one across the beach as a spectacle.

Regards,

MikB

How do you know that its even at Shoreham? The fact that the photo belongs to a Shoreham photo archive probably just means it came from a local collection - possibly by one of the professional studio photographers who traded in most seaside towns at the time. It looks to me just like a photo taken on a normal mainland training area - probably a basic driver training course or similar, or maybe even a public "open day" demonstration.

Interested in this as I live locally.  The source of the photo is the Sussex Archeological Society archive, and if you check their photostream it doesn't actually say that this is at Shoreham at all - just given as 'British tank.'  The image prior to it is a shelled city in France (?Ypres) and the following one, King George inspecting troops in Hyde Park.  So I don't think the actual tank has any connection with Shoreham - just a random collection of photos.  Sue

Interested in this as I live locally.  The source of the photo is the Sussex Archeological Society archive, and if you check their photostream it doesn't actually say that this is at Shoreham at all - just given as 'British tank.'  The image prior to it is a shelled city in France (?Ypres) and the following one, King George inspecting troops in Hyde Park.  So I don't think the actual tank has any connection with Shoreham - just a random collection of photos.  Sue

Not where I found it! It was included in a series specifically on Shorham

Practising or evaluating the use of tanks for the amphibious landing on the Flanders coast that was talked about in 1917?

No those were modified Mk IVs

The problem is that any background has been cut from the photograph, which does suggest somewhere other than Shoreham, and perhaps the powers that be did not want identified.

G

If you look at the other images on your link, you'll see that they are all clearly not Shoreham - e.g. King George in Hyde Park, and a shelled town in F&F - exactly the same photostream under a different name. It seems to just be a very sloppy attachment of the name of the town to a series of photos, most of which are Shoreham, but some of which are not.

Sue

The only thing I know about 9282 was that it was serving with 9th Battalion at Moreuil on 23rd July 1918. Recorded as being fit for action.

Oh! and the Tank Museum have another photo of it, reference 1552/E/4.

Gwyn