Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Highland Doublet

4thGordons

I just picked up a 1/4th Gordons Scarlet Doublet. It is undated but it has a service number scratched into the leather collar tab which identifies it to a man who served in U-Coy (the Aberdeen University Coy)in 1912-13 (his service number is just a couple away from my Great Grandfather's).

Unlike my other doublets and most of the insignia I have seen this has Silver (or silver coloured) GS buttons, silver coloured tigers on the collar and silver coloured T/4/Gordon shoulder insignia. My others all have brass.

The chap was not comissioned, nor did he hold any rank above Pte in the battalion as far as I can determine. The provenance on the jacket and everything about it leaves me in doubt it is all original.

So my questions are:

1) How should one refer to this silver coloured metal (I recall the long and interesting brass/gilt-metal debates of yore)

2) Does it have any particular significance? I have seen some suggestion that earlier Volunteer Battalions had silver buttons and insignia but this is quite clarly post TF reform)... I have been through a couple of sets of battalion orders from the pre war period and see no reference to it.

finally

3) there is some staining on the sleeve of the jacket (a largish dark patch which is the only blemish on an otherwise excellent piece) any suggestions on attempting to clean this? I usually do not worry about this but in this case the rest of the doublet is so fine I might consider it.

Any help much appreciated,

Chris

I have a Liverpool Scottish other ranks full dress tunic with white metal general service buttons and 8th V.B. collars.

The embroidery on the shoulder straps originally said "8/Scottish/V/Liverpool" but on the formation of the Territorial Force in 1908 the "8" and "V" were unpicked and replaced by "10" and "T".

It is in ,my experience, quite normal for other ranks tunics ( non rifle battalion ) Volunteers and Territorials to have white metal ( the term generally used by collectors )buttons on full dress tunics.

P.B.

DSCF3659.jpg

Hello Chris

I believe that silver-coloured buttons and badges were normal for the TF, and indeed I think for all auxiliary forces. It is usually referred to simply as "white metal".

Ron

Thank you both very much.

I will post pictures when I get back to base!

My question was largely prompted by another doublet I own from the same period, which has all Brass insignia and buttons as opposed to "white metal" (thanks for that too!)

Chris.