Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arms and the Man

Lambton

To those who know the big guns and ,

I would appreciate an analysis of the attached photo.

Is it a 9.2 or 12 inch road howitzer?

Do the uniforms convey nationality and possibly unit?

Were 'wellies' commonly worn?

Lambton

post-14097-0-62639100-1311180672.jpg

Hello Lambton

The uniforms definitely look British (including the Dominions). The men would therefore be in the Royal Garrison Artillery. Can you get a clearer image of the badges on the shoulder and upper arm of the man on the left?

I don't think rubber Wellington boots were normal in the British Army but it could have been an improvisation.

It could possibly be a 15-inch howitzer but I think they had a fixed bracket at the breech end to assist in loading the heavier shells. These were manned by the Royal Marine Artillery, not the RGA.

The 12-inch howitzer was basically a scaled-up version of the 9.2-inch, so it could be either. I would go for the 12-inch, on the basis that the message on the side suggests a rarer type of gun than normal.

I suppose it might be a captured howitzer. Perhaps a greater expert than I (and finding one of those isn't difficult :lol:) might be able to identify it more accurately.

Ron

Do I see a "CFA" over "CANADA" on the shoulder strap of the solider in the left foreground? Or are my eyes deceiving me? I have seen this photo before in a book but I can remember where.

All the best,

Gary

Do I see a "CFA" over "CANADA" on the shoulder strap of the solider in the left foreground? Or are my eyes deceiving me? I have seen this photo before in a book but I can remember where.

All the best,

Gary

Hello Gary,

Thanks for responding to my recent post.

My attachment was a scan I made from a Canadian Legion magazine.

CFA is probably correct in this case.

I have been researching my grandfather, definitely RGA and purported to be with the 85th. siege battery from 1916 onward.

Inferences indicate his battery did serve under Canadian command at some point in time.

I am still a novice when using the forum and getting answers is extremely difficult but appreciative.

Could you venture a guess at the guns calibre?

Doug

Doug,

I knew that I had seen that photo before - and recently! Now I know where. Sorry, but I am not a student of artillery so I can't help on that question.

All the best,

Gary

Hello Lambton, I'd guess it's a 9.2" howitzer in British or Commonwealth service - the height from the platform the middle soldier is standing on to the top of the barrel is about 6 feet, which is about the same scale as this illustration of a 9.2 I happen to have at my elbow. The differences between the 12" and 9.2" were in the former's longer tapering carriage and shell hoist - neither visible in the photo. From the Brodie helmets being worn and the message being chalked I'd guess this is from late 1916 or 1917.

Expect other more expert comments!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another view , held by Library and Archives Canada as MIKAN ID number 3194242.

They date it as November 1916, on the Somme, by Canadian war photographer W.I. Castle.

9.2_inch_howitzer_Christmas_message_LAC_3194242.jpg

It's a 9.2 inch howitzer.

Castle also took the following picture in November on the Somme. The IWM labels it a 60-pounder shell, but it looks bigger than 5-inch to me :

CanadianArtillerymen60pdrShellNovember1916.jpg