Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cemetery maps

Guest del8oy1

Guest del8oy1

Hi there,

I am cycling the battlefields of the Somme and Ypres next Easter, and I am trying to find out if there are any atlases containing sites of British cemeteries so I can plan a route.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome Delvis! You have arrived when lots of people seem to be keen to get on bikes around the battlefields. Try the search facility for guidance on cemetery location maps. Made even easier if you have satnav.

Good luck!

Chris

Hi there,

I am cycling the battlefields of the Somme and Ypres next Easter, and I am trying to find out if there are any atlases containing sites of British cemeteries so I can plan a route.

Thanks in advance.

Cemeteries & Memorials in Belgium & Northern France, CWGC, Publisher: Michelin ISBN 978-2-06-714046-2 £7.00 (delivered in UK) €10.00 (at Thiepval and presumably elsewhere)

Michelin, the principal continental map publisher, has produced for the Commission a new compact road atlas covering the areas with the densest population of war cemeteries in northern France and Belgium, including Normandy. The atlas, with road maps in Michelin's 1:200,000 series overprinted to show the location of each Commonwealth cemetery and memorial, comes with an alphabetical index.

David

Delvis

Start by getting a copy of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemeteries and Memorials in Belgium & Northern France atlas. The ISBN number is 978-2-06-714046-2. This shows the position of all the cemeteries you could possibly hope to visit in the areas of Ypres and the Somme. I would recommend getting that soon and then possibly invest in Michelin 1:20000 maps for more detail, but you'll need lots of them to cover all the battlefield. You might even consider the Holt's Guides to the areas you want to visii. They are a compromise between the CWGC and Michelin maps.

Enjoy your trip.

Garth

Hi Delvis welcome to the forum,

Seeing as you are planning a route beforehand, and have if you have access to the internet, the TWGPP along with CWGC have the cemeteries located on Google Earth.

Just go to this page on the TWGPP site and download the plug-in for the area you are interested in...

http://twgpp.org/cemetery_locations.php

regards

Tom

Delvis, if you have seen the answers above to your query, could you just aknowledge so we know we are not wasting our time...

regards

Tom