Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

51st Stationary Hospital, Genoa

Brainy Smurf

There are more pictures of the Hotel Miramare in this thread

including one of the entrance hall. That they were in my grandmothers effects suggests that she was working there for a time. Unfortunately, there is no suggestion in the remnants of any hospital title.

John

EDIT. The date Wednesday 18th December, makes it 1918 and a month after the armistice.

• 3 months later...

Apologies for the long delay. That's very kind of you, Kibe. However changes in my circumstances will now prevent my chances of making the trip. I had really hoped to have been able to retrace some of my grandfather's last steps but that now looks unlikely.

If any new information on the 51st comes to light I would appreciate you sharing it with me here.

• 2 months later...
Guest Westie61

Hello, I have been researching my G/grandfather and have found that he started out in the Huntingdonshire Cyclists then some how moved to the 1st Bedfordshire Battalion .... then ended up in Genova 11th General Hospital, trying to fill in the dots... Can anyone enlighten me?

I have a post card from him to his wife (my maternal G/grandmother) which is how I know he was in Genova.post-113868-0-17483800-1407616813_thumb.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest cinziarobbiano

I have the list of the British Soldiers who rest at the War Cemetery of Arquata Scrivia. Cause of death was Spanish influenza. Is anyone interested?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Westie,

what a great postcard! Suspect your great-grandfather was rather proud of where his ward was?

Have you read The Long, Long Trail account of the cyclist battalions for starters (http://www.1914-1918.net/cyclistbns.htm )? It notes that men of local companies of the Bedfordshire Regiment were allowed to transfer into the Huntingdonshire Cyclist Battalion. More than six hundred men of the 1/1st Battalion transferred to the 1/8th Royal Warwickshire Regiment in France before moving off to the Somme. They Warwicks were part of the 143rd Brigade, 48th (South Midland) Division, which was then sent to Italy in November 1917, hence explaining why your relative got to Genoa.

See also http://www.huntscycles.co.uk/

DJM

• 4 years later...

I have come across a grave in Stretford Cemetery Lancashire, Arthur (JIM) Brown RAMC with an additional footstone from his comrades at what I learn from this site is Arquata Military Hospital, 51st Stationary Hospital, I have learnt that he was a Lance Corporal with the 2nd Western General Hospital, his no 357367. Born 1881 died 9th December 1918. I have no info on cause of death but suspect it was from infectious disease of some kind due to the nature of his work. Prior to War Service he was an Elementary School Teacher for Stretford Borough Council.