Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Museums with WW1 Content

yelob

Hi All,

I was just wondering if it would be perhaps helpful to compile a list of museums Europewide or Worldwide

that have interesting WW1 content.I get the feeling there are museums about that I certainly have never heard of that could be

well worth a visit.

I'm not thinking about Western Front mainstream ones but ones that may not be so obvious or ones not entirely devoted

to WW1 but which may at the same time have significant or interesting WW1 content,particularly ones that forum members have visited.Just a thought.

Regards,Liam

For Great Britain try here: http://www.culture24...t/world+war+one - "Explore Britain's First World War collections in museums, archives, libraries and heritage sites with Culture24 news, reviews, websites, listings and resources all in one place."

(top billing on the page is that Henry Allingham's medals are on display at the Fleet Air Arm Museum after his grandsons found them in the bottom of his old toolbox).

The new Museum of Liverpool, between the Pier Head and the Albert Dock, opened at the beginning of this week. It has a Great War Gallery <a href='http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/visit/galleries/peoples/western-front.aspx' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.liverpool...tern-front.aspx</a> with a Liverpool direction. This is distinct from the "City Soldiers" Gallery that will open in November and which will display the King's Regiment Collection. The whole museum looks splendid (the building has grown on me as it has gone up) both inside and out. They have been hosting well over 10000 visitors a day this week and the school holidays had not started for most.

Ian

Try the little museum at Cawthorne near Barnsley, one of the best kept secrets in the museum world. Not a lot of WW1 stuff but what there is is unbelievable. The Zeppelin bomb for instance.

Huntly House museum on the Canongate in Edinburgh has a large collection of material relating to Earl Haig, including uniforms, documents, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

The Bury Fusiliers Museum in - Bury. Plenty of WW1 stuff, which I photographed but, thanks to my lack of skills with IT cannot post here. It has an hilarious flower garden outside - a Landrover perched on it's side with the cargo compartment being the flower bed - and an incredible array of medals inside. Also a nice little cafe.

My daughter liked the Museum of the Manchesters in Ashton, principally because of the trench-warfare recreation, in which a rat featured large.

Then there's Bovington, which is perhaps a bit mainstream for you. However, there are few other places where you can walk inside a Mk V* tank.

The new Riverside Museum in Glasgow (I wish they'd still call it the Transport Museum!) has many models of naval ships built in Glasgow (including HMS Hood, but there are some WW1 there as well).

They also have a display based around the memorial to the men of the 15th Bn HLI - there are a couple of other items and a short video presentation about some of the men who served and fell. Quite a well done display - wish I could say the same for the rest of the museum.