Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Cross Awards

Digger

I have been trying to research two men who were awarded the Military Cross. I have looked at the medal cards but cannot find anything, and I haven't got anywhere with the London Gazette either. Maybe I am not putting in the right search words and if this is so perhaps someone could advise me. Are there any other websites that I could use? Thank you.

Go to LG search limit to WW1

try full christian names followed by surname.

If no joy as Peter says post the names and Im sure one of us will find them.

Thank you for the offer of help. Unfortunately I don't have the full names, but here goes. Both men worked for the British Museum. The result of the research will be posted on the Roll of Honour website. All help will be acknowledged.

A. K. Totton

“Temporary Lieutenant A. K. Totton, M.C., relinquishes his commission on account of ill-health caused by wounds, and is granted the honorary rank of Lieutenant 5th April, 1918.” Supplement to the London Gazette, 4th April, 1918.

“Temporary Lieutenant (acting Captain) A. K. Totton,

M.C., relinquishes his commission on account of ill-health caused by wounds, and is granted the honorary rank of Captain 5th April, 1918.” (Substituted for the notification in the Gazette of 4th Apr. 1918.) Supplement to the London Gazette, 26th August, 1918.

W Campbell Smith

M.C., M.A., F.G.S., Assistant-Keeper in the Mineral Department of the British Museum.

Totton - no success yet but he had no MC when gazetted about his rank on 1 June 1916, and he had it by 22 June 1918. He seems to have been moved up and down a bit, with acting rank given then removed. Served with the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry.

Still trying.

Smith - Walter Campbell Smith is included in a long list of MC awards gazetted in the supplement dated 1 Jan 1917, as 2nd Lieut, (temp Captain), London Regiment. As this was in a New Years Honour list, it is unlikely that any citation exists outside battalion/brigade or formation records. A newspaper published near his home might have some information.

Daggers

Totton, Arthur Knyvett

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=5807151&queryType=1&resultcount=36

Corps Regiment No Rank

London Regiment 1283 Lance Corporal

Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry Temporary Second Lieutenant

Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry Captain

Can find him awarded The Silver Medal for Military Valour by the King of Italy but nothing on the MC -

http://www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/issues/13098/pages/1034

John

Totton's forenames given by John tally with an entry in the LG for Totton's entry to the Natural History Dept in 1913. There are other medal index cards for the same man on the National Archives documents online site. One might be for the MC; the Ancestry site does not hold the MC cards.

D

Many thanks for all your help, and I have learnt a lot as well. Very grateful.

Greetings,

I make a research about a French soldier who received the Military Cross (MC) in the war.

He received the Military Cross normally the 04/04/1918, when he was Lieutenant.

And the number of his medal was normally N° 055834 or N° 055804 or N° 5880 (It's not easy for read the old writing and I have different numbers by papers).

Name's Marcel THIROUIN and was pilot.

I didn't find his name by archives of the "London Gazette", here : http://www.london-gazette.co.uk (if no mistake).

A thread was open by me, here, but no answer : http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/ [...] rouin.html

I know this page : http://www.nationala...ullDetails=True

Where can I find the English mention, if it was existing or more information?

Thank you if you have the time for help me in my request.

I hope my post is clear a little.

Regards.

Nicolas.

Awards of the Military Cross to foreign officers were not generally listed in the London Gazette, but rather, were published in separately published War Office Lists. I could not find Thirouin in any of the War Office lists I have but my set of lists is not complete. Regards, Dick Flory

Awards of the Military Cross to foreign officers were not generally listed in the London Gazette, but rather, were published in separately published War Office Lists. I could not find Thirouin in any of the War Office lists I have but my set of lists is not complete. Regards, Dick Flory

Hello,

Thanks for your answer,

Yes, I didn't find the Ace Charles NUNGESSER in the "London Gazette" too (if no mistake).

My pilot was in the Orient front (Macedonia, Serbia, Greece, ...), and I have difficulty for to know the true number of his MC medal by the old writing :( .

Thank you again.

Regards.

Nicolas.