Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lithgow Hooked Quillon

jscott

I just noticed a 1914 dated Lithgow hooked quillon bayonet listed on ebay.com... I suspect that despite its fairly beaten appearance it will raise a tidy amount. I almost had a heart attack at the price the last one I saw went for.

Is it normal for the MD stamp to be on the pommel? I thought that these were usually on the crossguard (but unfortunately I dont have a stash of Lithgow hookies to check against).

Here is the direct LINK to the bayonet on ebay.

The MD marking is normally found stamped across the crossguard. The rifle serial should be found on the pommel.

That is the difficulty with these early Lithgow bayonets - there are so few left around that it does make it extremely hard to compare.

Cheers, S>S

post-2307-0-00347300-1311568614.jpg

[/left

I just noticed a 1914 dated Lithgow hooked quillon bayonet listed on ebay.com... I suspect that despite its fairly beaten appearance it will raise a tidy amount. I almost had a heart attack at the price the last one I saw went for.

Is it normal for the MD stamp to be on the pommel? I thought that these were usually on the crossguard (but unfortunately I dont have a stash of Lithgow hookies to check against).

hi jscott,

here is a pic of my 1914 lithgow hooky MD on the crossgguard never seen MD on on a pommel.

joe.

post-2307-0-29815300-1311568518.jpg

The MD marking is normally found stamped across the crossguard. The rifle serial should be found on the pommel.

Didn't seem to affect its value though ... :o

Sheesh.!! Went for a cool US$4,330 .... quite hard to fathom really.?? (even for a fan of bayonets like myself.!)

Cheers, S>S

I'm quite cynical but that aside, does anyone actually know the individuals who pay these prices? When I say know them I mean on a one to one basis, not its a friend of a friends second cousin.

Shipping steel,

As this thread is concerned with Lithgow quillion bayonets and my knowledge of bayonets is minimal may I ask a question? I know a little about the quillion in service with the British army and the reason why it was removed. Could you give me some background on the Lithgow bayonets and when the quillion was removed?

I have a photo of a Company of the 55th Battalion from the time they were re-formed in 1921 and I can see atleast two, possibly four quillion bayonets. Were they still commonly in use at the time?

Scott

Could you give me some background on the Lithgow bayonets and when the quillion was removed?

I have a photo of a Company of the 55th Battalion from the time they were re-formed in 1921 and I can see atleast two, possibly four quillion bayonets. Were they still commonly in use at the time?

The Lithgow hooked quillon bayonet did stay in service with Australian troops for quite a bit longer than its P1907 counterpart did in British service.

The first bayonets manufactured at Lithgow were in the hooked quillon format, but from 1916 onwards they were all manufactured without the quillon.

Skennerton is the noted authority on the Australian production of both Enfield rifles and their bayonets, so will attach a couple of quotes from his books.

"Australian production of the P1907 (quillon) bayonet commenced at Lithgow in 1913 and the omission of the hooked quillon occurred during 1915 ..." The Lee-Enfield

"Most of the hooked quillon models later had the hook removed ..." British & Commonwealth Bayonets

So while the manufacturing of the hooked quillon versions ceased during 1915, I don't believe there was a big rush to remove the quillons from those already in use.

The main requirement for the removal of the quillon came from the difficulties encountered in the European war-zone. I think the ones back home would have escaped.

I am not certain how long they stayed in regular use in Australia, but I am definitely not surprised that the photo evidence exists. If the hooks are not a problem why remove them.?

Exactly the same thing happened with the addition of the clearance holes. The British brought in the requirement in 1916 but the Aussie production didn't have them until the 1920's.

Cheers, S>S

Good grief - that is an unbelieveable price. I suppose that people are prepared to pay large sums because these bayonets are now seen as an investment as much as a collectable.

Joe - thanks for posting your picture. It looks like a great piece in very nice condition (and it appears to be worth a small fortune as well)!

Good grief - that is an unbelieveable price. I suppose that people are prepared to pay large sums because these bayonets are now seen as an investment as much as a collectable.

Joe - thanks for posting your picture. It looks like a great piece in very nice condition (and it appears to be worth a small fortune as well)!

thanks,

got it 4 years ago for a song not saying where.

joe.

An interesting discussion but as someone who's knowledge of bayonets is more or less limited to "they don't like it up 'em" the title of this thread put me thinking of a Covenanter re- enactment society :innocent:

So while the manufacturing of the hooked quillon versions ceased during 1915, I don't believe there was a big rush to remove the quillons from those already in use.

The main requirement for the removal of the quillon came from the difficulties encountered in the European war-zone. I think the ones back home would have escaped.

I am not certain how long they stayed in regular use in Australia, but I am definitely not surprised that the photo evidence exists. If the hooks are not a problem why remove them.?

Thanks for the background info Shipping Steel. I think you may be right in believing there was no rush to remove them at home.

Scott

Saw a nowhere near as nice English made example go for $600 NZ this weekend and a non-hooked version by Sanderson described as being "fair" go for $950NZ at an NZAAA auction here in Wellington.

But you seem to be able to still pick up some pretty good non hooked axamples in the UK for around 120 GBP, only trouble is you need a police permit to import.

But you seem to be able to still pick up some pretty good non hooked axamples in the UK for around 120 GBP, only trouble is you need a police permit to import.

That is about twice as much as I sell them for.