Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Adriane ?

133.R

Last week on german ebay. Opinions please.....:glare:The seller says that this helmet was worn by an british officier.

Französicher Stahlhelm M 1915 WK1 | eBay

Regards Sven

I'd want much better photos before risking money on that helmet. It could be absolutely anything. And anyway I'd expect it to be painted khaki if used by a British officer, and probably without badge holes in the front. Plus I have never heard of them being issued to liaison officers as claimed in the listing. Where does he get that information from?

My opinion: Not 100% sure it's wrong, but I am far from convinced. When in doubt, just say No!

Given that Adriane was a Greek demi goddess (married to Dionysus god of wine and merriment) - if you can pick her up on e bay go for it. As for Adrian helmets Caveat emptor.

Last week on german ebay. Opinions please.....:glare:The seller says that this helmet was worn by an british officier.

Französicher Stahlhelm M 1915 WK1 | eBay

Regards Sven

Sven, more than three million Adrian helmets were produced, and they were widely adopted by other countries including Belgium. Brazil, China, Greece, Italy (including licence-built versions), Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Morocco, Peru, Poland, Romania, Russian, Serbia, Siam, USA, U.S.S.R. and Yugoslavia.

The crown and lion on your helmet might be associated with Belgium or Luxembourg, both of which used such regalia at various times in their history.

A few British officers might well have used the Adrian helmet in the period leading up to a British version being designed and produced, especially if they were attached to French or Belgian forces and had easy access. Most famously Winston Churchill was certainly photographed in an Adrian helmet around the time he was given command of a battalion of the Royal Scots Fusiliers, shortly after the Dardenelles debacle.

post-599-0-00590100-1311004012.jpg

I know that british officers worn adrian's.But this one has triggered discussions in a german forum about his originality. I have one helmet from these i know that officers worn this type .

Regards Sven

The ebay helmet is a French/Belgian mle 1915 but badged up to the Belgian civil defence (possibly the city of Liege). Post - war anyway

Dave

I know that british officers worn adrian's.But this one has triggered discussions in a german forum about his originality. I have one helmet from these i know that officers worn this type .

Regards Sven

Not an Adrian but a Portuguese helmet (although made under contract in Britain) Very dangerous at it tended to fracture when hit and sent splinters into the wearer's head. Portuguese officers often wore a British Brodie

The ebay helmet is a French/Belgian mle 1915 but badged up to the Belgian civil defence (possibly the city of Liege). Post - war anyway

Dave

Here's a Liege city police badge from a CD (mle 1926) Adrian...

post-357-0-78688300-1311006027.jpg

Just noticed the price its got up to on ebay. ... 162 euros does equate to about 40 quid doesn't it????:whistle::blink:

Given that Adriane was a Greek demi goddess (married to Dionysus god of wine and merriment) - if you can pick her up on e bay go for it. As for Adrian helmets Caveat emptor.

That's Ariadne. Don't know anything about the helmet, though.

Tom

That's Ariadne.

Which is an alternative spelling when translated from the original Greek

Which is an alternative spelling when translated from the original Greek

I can't see how that can be right. The original ancient Greek word Αριαδνη simply says "Ariadne". You don't have to translate it, it's just a name.

Tom

I can't see how that can be right. The original ancient Greek word Αριαδνη simply says "Ariadne". You don't have to translate it, it's just a name.

Tom

We're getting way off topic but modern Greek pronounces some of the characters differently from ancient Greek (and some of the characters have also changed) so there are choices as to how you translate into Latin script. For example Delta and Theta have almost swapped over over the centuries

Not so much Greek, but geek..........

I have one helmet from these i know that officers worn this type .

Regards Sven

Correct, this type was privately purchased early on in the war by some officers. The liners on those I've seen were made by a company called Henry Heath. The design was rejected for British Army use but went on to be issued to the Portuguese Army. Presumably a load had already been made and the authorities didn't want to waste them.

Regarding the use of Adrian helmets by British officers, in 30+ years of collecting I've seen two that I believed. One had an RAMC badge, the other had no badge holes and XIIIH painted on the front. Both were painted khaki.