Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

354 Siege Battery R.G.A.

jono844

I have a typed 12 page document briefly outlining movements and engagements for nearly 2 years,for the above battery.

It came from my grandmothers estate in 1970 and was maybe written by her husband Major Arthur Eastwood Nichols,sometime commander of the battery,but is not signed and has no sources mentioned however shell tallies fired co-incide with his diary entries.

ALSO

3 tiny diaries 1915,1917,1918 giving map co-ordinates,casualties(k,w,h),a few surnames,recomendations,exclamations on being over-run(oh my hat!) in 1917.

May 1918 onwards

'In the Australian Corps'(from above history)

Battle of Hamel july 4 1918(famous for its 3 hour duration and its creeping barrage)

entry for thur 4 july 1918

Z at 3:10:

all went well.tanks came back at 6:30

i slept during morning

two counter attacks at night + bombs.

S.S. blew in(i think this refers to silent sam,U.S. forces, on july 4?)

• 2 months later...

I am very interested in seeing the 12 page history of the 354 Siege battery. I have previously seen links to a download for this but it appears to have been closed.

I am researching on behalf of my uncle whose father served in the 354 siege. All we have is a Xmas greetings card from the 354 Siege Battery from Xmas 1918.

Can anybody make it available to me?

Regards

John

• 1 month later...

I am very interested in seeing the 12 page history of the 354 Siege battery. I have previously seen links to a download for this but it appears to have been closed.

I am researching on behalf of my uncle whose father served in the 354 siege. All we have is a Xmas greetings card from the 354 Siege Battery from Xmas 1918.

Regards

John

i can email you the file of the scans of the history but you will have to do five posts before you are eligible to receive email.i also have a training photo from 1917? and nco and officers photos at fouilloy(near villers bretoneaux),in may 1918.

john

Regards

John

this updated link will give you the download of the twelve page history. (about 8 mb) as rapidshare seems to have deleted my previous posting of it.

http://goo.gl/PUuj1

Archived