The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Return trip to Ypres next weekend

Bob Chandler

Hello all,

We're taking a friend to France and Belgium this coming weekend so he can visit the grave of his great-granddad at Loos, then staying in Ypres Saturday/Sunday (Novotel). It's his first time so we're planning to take him to Sanctuary Wood, the Lille Gate museum, Tyne Cot and (if time) Hooge musuem, etc.

Would just like to check that there have been no major changes since we were last there in 2010 that could cause problems, e.g. anything closed, roadworks in the town causing problems, local beer shortage etc.....I'd like the weekend to go as smoothly as possible for my mate as he's really looking forward to it.

All the best

Bob

Come and give us a visit at Talbot House, a nice cup of tea and a scone.

John

If you use a navigation system, please update it before you leave for Belgium. The traffic system has been completely reversed which makes it very difficult to find your way when relating on a satnav with the old traffic system still on it. The easiest way to access Talbot House now is to enter the town via the Casselstraat (South -slightly South-East- end of the town)

Hope this helpes,

charlotte

Charlotte

I agree turn right at the roundabout into the road with the Aldimart in.

John

Hi Charlotte,can you let me know more by what you mean by 'completely reversed' as regards traffic as I was intending to use

my old sat nav at some stage.

Thanks,Liam

Hi Charlotte,can you let me know more by what you mean by 'completely reversed' as regards traffic as I was intending to use

my old sat nav at some stage.

Thanks,Liam

Where one used to drive into town in Poperinge, is now one way system to get out of town. The former route out of town in now the way in. I was born and raised in Poperinge ; it is not that easy to change habits from one day to the other. So this clever lady entered the one way system when returning to Poperinge recently... in order to realise very soon that I was the only one to go that way! A U-turn was the solution for my problem. In the meantime, I have welcomed guests who, relying on their satnav, could not find the way to Talbot House : where the satnav told them to go was one way system from the other direction. So they finally gave up... That is why it is so important to update your navigation system.

When writing "completely reversed" I wasn't referring to the option that we might be driving on the other side of the road though :)

Charlotte

......ahh that's a pity Charlotte as I could then have brought my car direct from Ireland :)now I will have to hire...

Thanks for the info,I'm debating whether to do my first Ypres with or without a car so looke like I now need to update my Sat Nav unless teh car hire company rent them.

Many thanks all. You can't beat a bit of local knowledge! If anyone from the Ieper / Poperinge area ever needs travel advice when visiting Horley, I'll be happy to reciprocate. :)

Cheers

Bob

p.s. I'll make sure I wear my Forum badge in case any other members are in the area this weekend

Bob,

When out in May my group tried to drain Ypres of beer, but I think they will have had time to restock by now. Don't however expect any Guiness in Kent for a while!

Chris

Bob,

When out in May my group tried to drain Ypres of beer, but I think they will have had time to restock by now. Don't however expect any Guiness in Kent for a while!

Chris

OK, just as long as there's still a decent supply of Brakspear's Oxford Gold next time I'm down your way!

No problem! Enjoy your trip. I can recommend the beer at Old Tom in Ypres which washes the fried eel down particularly well. One of six ways it is cooked there and my favourite!

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

We will be visiting Ypres in September driving from Wanquetin for a day visit and then the Menin Gate in the evening, then back to Wanquetin. Via Michelin gives driving time of around 80mins. I don't know the time of the ceremony in the evening, and a question is what time is the finish, and is it the same everyday of the week ??

Thanks

Rycroft

remembering Pte Henry Wilkinson and Pte William Spencer

We will be visiting Ypres in September driving from Wanquetin for a day visit and then the Menin Gate in the evening, then back to Wanquetin. Via Michelin gives driving time of around 80mins. I don't know the time of the ceremony in the evening, and a question is what time is the finish, and is it the same everyday of the week ??

Thanks

Rycroft

remembering Pte Henry Wilkinson and Pte William Spencer

Hi Rycroft

The time of the Last Post is the same every evening - 8.00pm. You need to be there about 7.30pm to get a good view. The ceremony lasts from ten to 20 minutes depending on how many wreaths are being laid and whether or not there is a choir/band/piper, etc. I suggest you choose your restaurant by 6.20pm and that should give you enough time to have a relaxing meal and then off to the Menin Gate.

Regards

Bob Findley

Hi Rycroft

The time of the Last Post is the same every evening - 8.00pm. You need to be there about 7.30pm to get a good view. The ceremony lasts from ten to 20 minutes depending on how many wreaths are being laid and whether or not there is a choir/band/piper, etc. I suggest you choose your restaurant by 6.20pm and that should give you enough time to have a relaxing meal and then off to the Menin Gate.

Regards

Bob Findley

Thank you Bob your information is most helpful

Rycroft