Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Are there any details of this flying accident?

McCudden

2nd Lt William Boyle Power is listed on my local war memorial in Worcestershire and I have discovered he was "accidentally killed while testing a machine" on July 17 1916 at Farnborough. Does anyone have any details of the accident, in particular the aeroplane he was in at the time?

Also, if you have information of the unit he was in (General List and RFC is all I've been able to find) and the tesing they were doing at Farnborough I should be most grateful.

Many thanks

Alec

Alec

2Lt W B Power from Farnborough Air Station was killed in an accident while flying FE8 7598.

I hope this is useful.

Gareth

2nd Lt William Boyle Power is listed on my local war memorial in Worcestershire and I have discovered he was "accidentally killed while testing a machine" on July 17 1916 at Farnborough. Does anyone have any details of the accident, in particular the aeroplane he was in at the time?

Also, if you have information of the unit he was in (General List and RFC is all I've been able to find) and the tesing they were doing at Farnborough I should be most grateful.

Many thanks

Alec

Can't answer those questions but according to Airmen Died he was aged 29 and is buried in Aldershot (Military) Cemetery.

Roy

A couple of pictures of Lt. Boyle's grave at Aldershot:

post-5512-0-41389200-1310893017.jpg

post-5512-0-96440800-1310893036.jpg

The inscription, which isn't that clear, reads:

IN

LOVING MEMORY OF

LIEUTENANT

WILLIAM BOYLE POWER

ROYAL FLYING CORPS

WHO WAS KILLED WHILST FLYING

AT FARNBOROUGH JULY 17TH 1916

AGED 29 YEARS

R. I. P.

NigelS

Alec

2Lt W B Power from Farnborough Air Station was killed in an accident while flying FE8 7598.

I hope this is useful.

Gareth

7598 being part of a batch 7595 - 7644 ordered from Vickers in Feb 1916

There had been a number of spinning accidents with the early FE8s the cause and solution not fully understood until August 1916. Possibly the accident was one of these.

Flight, 20 July 1916, p 603:

A FATAL accident occurred at Farnborough on Monday evening.

A machine piloted by Sec. Lieut. W. B. Power, R.F.C, was seen to

side-slip, and nose-dive to the ground, the pilot being instantly killled.

The Times of 19th July has this:

Airman killed at Farnborough

While flying over the Military Aerodrome, Farnborough, on Monday evening, Second Lieutenant W.B. Power, Royal Flying Corps, lost control of his machine which crashed to the ground, and he was killed.

He had recently been promoted to a commission from warrant rank.

&Flight reported this (Click):

Fatal Accidents

A FATAL accident occured at Farnborough on Monday evening. A machine piloted by sec. Lieut. W.B. Power, R.F.C., was seen to side-slip, and nose-dive to the ground, the pilot being instantly killed.

NigelS

Alec

The information I have is that he received his ticket (number 838) on 1 July 1914 and was killed while flying FE8 7598.

Graeme

Many thanks

Alec

Alec,

There is a photo of him on Ancestry under the Royal Aero Club Aviators' Certificates section. Also a casualty card--but this adds no further info to that which you already have regarding the accident.

Hope this helps,

Robert

According to the book 'A Contemptable Little Flying Corps' by McInnes & Webb, we have the following;

No. 207

William Boyle Power

Born Plymouth 15 December 1888

Earned Royal Aero Club Aviator's certificate No 838 on 1 July 1914 as 1AM at Upavon(CFS) in a Maurice Farman.

Served overseas in Egypt as Cpl from 19 November 1914 earning 1914/15 Star.

Sgt Major Instructor January 1916 at Royal Aircraft Factory

Promoted 2 Lieutenant 30 May 1916.

As it happens, I didn't know that! Do we have someone famous on our war memorial?

You call yourself McCudden yet you dont know who taught your namesake to fly?:rolleyes:

Well he is a VERY distant relative...

I've just read 'five years in the RFC' by JTBMc so I now know that Power taught him to fly in early 1916.

Alec