Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Badge Identification

DrB

pittorf@sunnetworks.com

I am in the possession of a badge which was sold to me as "The Jewish Regiment".

Is is blacked brass or nickel with a slider on the back for retention. There are no makers marks or initials on the back of the badge. The badge is die struck.

The badge is 1.5 inches, a circle and is topped by a Kings Crown and the outside of the badge is a wreath of leaves (laurel?)

In the center of the badge, another one inch circle, is the Star of David.

Neither Gaylor, Cox nor Kipling-King offer ID. Edwards lists a Palestine or Jewish Regiment in his 1951 edition, but the striking is an alltogether different pattern.

An educated "guess" would be a pre or early WWII badge which was struck as a "trial" and never accepted. I know this is a WWI forum, but.......

I would appreciate any comments or ID's of this critter.

Thanks. :(

Can you post a picture of this badge? An almost identical question has been posted recently and the general concesus was that it 's a Jewish chaplain's badge of WW2 and beyond. Maybe you should try and find that thread?

Dave.

Croo, pittorf is the same guy that raised the previous query!

"Unknown British? badge, Appreciate some ID for this badge" on 9 July.

Phil B

I do not think this is a WWII Jewish Chaplains badge as it is not voided, nor does it have a quatrafoil in the center of it. There is no device in the center of the Star of David.

I posted a similiar request earlier this week under the name pittorf because I lost the info on gaining access to this website and only recently found it. Sorry for the double request.

I am in the possession of a badge which was sold to me as "The Jewish Regiment".

The following offered ‘by-the-way’ and should be treat with caution

However if one looks through the London Gazette following the career of Lt-Col J. H. Patterson then one sees a couple of interesting notices

27 Aug 1917

Jewish R.[egiment]

Temp Lt-Col J. H. Patterson, DSO (Hon Lt-Col in Army), from R. Ir. Fus. (att R. Dub. Fus.) to command a Bn…etc…

The above notice was corrected in the LG of

29 November 1917

R.[oyal] Fus.[usiliers]

Temp Lt-Col J. H. Patterson …etc. etc…to command a Bn…etc…

(Substituted for Gaz. Notification. 27 Aug 1917.)

I am open to correction, but the conclusion which I draw from this, is that for a period of three months in 1917 there was a proposal to call a unit of the British Army, ‘The Jewish Regiment,’ but that at some point between 27 August and 29 November 1917 this idea was rejected and that unit eventually became part of the Royal Fusiliers

Whether or not this proposal got as far as the design and production of a badge I cannot say, hence the word of caution at the beginning

Regards

Michael D.R.

Big thanks to Phil B forsolving the problem. Jewish Chaplain, 1940.

DrB (or pittorf) :D