Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Enfield 'EY' Grenade Launcher Rifle Questions

MikeS0000

Wrong!

EY is a reference to Edward Yule a man who contributed to the later designs of the cup discharger. John

John, I was just rereading this thread - I think I missed this before.

Do you have a source for this? It contradicts what I have long believed (not all that unusual) but also what is reported in several of the usual reference works (eg Skennerton TLES)

Chris

I've got a 1945 War Office pamphlet here about the Far East which identifies it as 'Extra Yield'. Whether this is wrong or no, it shows that there was not unanimity on the question even at the time.

I've got a 1945 War Office pamphlet here about the Far East which identifies it as 'Extra Yield'. Whether this is wrong or no, it shows that there was not unanimity on the question even at the time.

That's interesting, and another variation I have not seen before. Is this specifically related to stamping on SMLEs? If so could you PM me the specifics (as 1945 is off topic for here) so I could add this to my notes.

Chris

Do you have a source for this? It contradicts what I have long believed (not all that unusual) but also what is reported in several of the usual reference works (eg Skennerton TLES)

Skennerton does mention this issue (lack of agreement on origins of EY) in "The Lee Enfield", Chapter 6, page 176, near bottom of page.

Cheers, S>S