Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown photo, is he in Hospital Blues?

Pavster1980

Hello All

Got this scan from a releative, no info I'm affraid but they think it is my great great grandad. Is this chap in Hospital Blues? Were Hospital Blues worn any time other than the Great War? If this is my Great Grandad he would have been 45 at the out break of the Great War in 1914. So I don't think it would be a photo of him.

Any help is welcome

Thanks in advance

Rich

post-60087-0-98126600-1310412141.jpg

Looks very like hospital blues. The wearing of these started sometime around the Crimean War as photographic evidence shows. They did change over time but your man could be any time from the South African War to WW1

Looks very like hospital blues. The wearing of these started sometime around the Crimean War as photographic evidence shows. They did change over time but your man could be any time from the South African War to WW1

Thanks Very much

Rich

And beyond - they seem to have been used at least as late as WW2 in some cases (albeit in what seem like extremely dwindled numbers). Red ties with WW2 dates on them are still commonly seen on Ebay.

I can confirm that hospital blues with red ties were worn in WW2. I lived as a child not far from the Wingfield Hospital (now I think the Nuffield) in Headington, Oxford, and often saw the men walking out in blues.

After being wounded in Italy in 1945 my uncle was in hospital and before he was allowed to "walk out" in his "hospital blues" for Sister's inspections he had to fold the suit, shirt and tie to represent half the Union flag. He also was ordered to "lay to attention" for Officer's inspection.

My uncle, severely wounded on the Italian mainland in late 1943, also wore these blues when allowed home during his treatment back in the UK in mid-1944. My mother remembers the uniform vividly.