Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding who may belong to these medals

Amtac001

Hi , can anyone point me in the right direction , Ive come into possesion of these medals , How would I start to find to whom they belonged

They served in Boer war , WW1, WW2 and has LS medal with volunteer on the back.

Regards Broady proof1880L.pdf

the ww1 medals should have the name ,service number and regiment on the edges of the medals, hope this is a help to start with.

john.

Hi

Same with the Boer War ones, then you can search on Ancestry for more information ( you need an account but they give you 2 weeks free to start with, so cancel after that if you dont want to go on). Print out everything and you can also start a tree if you wish.

Also what country are they from, Australia or Britain? There are other things you can do depending on where. The WW1 medals will give you a guide, so if you like, post the details here for some more help.

regards

Robert

They look like minatures to me. They will be unamed if so and impossible to find the recipient.

Neil

Yes Neil, you are right, they are minatures, I did not take a long enough look.

Given there is nothing really unique about them, it would be impossible to find out who they belonged to.

Sorry, but they are a nice set.

regards

Robert

Hi Broady,

One interesting thing about the group is that the QSA and KSA have no clasps, this could mean that the recipient was a nurse as I believe they were the only personnel who were awarded these without clasps. The remainder of the group could conform with a nurse's entitlement apart from the Volunteer Long Service medal which does not seem to fit?

The group appears to be a contemporarily mounted group and not a modern made up one. I can't really help further, except to ask if the medals have come through family? or do you have any contact with the vendor who may be able to help identify the recipient. Unless you have some sort of lead, then I am afraid it is unlikely that you will be able to find an answer to your question.

Good Luck, Robert

PS A very nice group.

They are definitely miniatures, and a nice combination group - but unfortunately it would be very difficult to identify the recipient.

The absence of bars on miniature QSAs and KSAs is unfortunately not definitive identifiers of nurses; I have seen plenty in association with the full-size groups where the miniatures did not have bars where the fullsize did.

Also, the presence of a George V Volunteer Long Service Medal (plain green ribbon at end) would I think mitigate against it being a nurse as well.

And having a 1939-45 Defence Medal and War Medal in the group where there is a 1902 Coronation Medal suggests the recipient was of quite an advanced age when serving then! All the more surprising that there is no other form of recognition on the group, an MBE or suchlike.

One interesting thing about the group is that the QSA and KSA have no clasps, this could mean that the recipient was a nurse

This is by no means definitive; Miniatures are not officially awarded but private purchases each bar/clasp would cost extra!! so the recipient may have erred on the side of prudence and gone for the cheaper option,Nurses would not be able to qualify for the VLSM,the Geo V head does however suggest a European serving in an Empire [indian??etc;] Unit rather than an Imperial one as the Geo V VLSM was generally awarded to those units {the TFEM being in existence from 1908[1911]~1920 for Territorial Force "Volunteers" effectively replacing the VLSM during this period for UK troops} :poppy: