Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Memorial

Andrew P

Hi

You may have heard about the new Australian memorial going to be built at Hyde Park Corner in London.

The Department of Veterans Affairs along with the Office of Australian War Graves are collecting names of towns and cities of where Australian soldiers in WW1 & WW2 came from so the new memorial will recognize the contribution made by these towns.

For the press release see

http://minister.dva.gov.au/media_releases/...march/va014.htm

I f you have ever researched an Australian soldier and want to see if his home town is listed go to

http://www.dva.gov.au/commem/oawg/memorial...ondon/index.htm

If there is a town you believe should be on the memorial you are able to contact the OAWG and they will add to the list.

The memorial is expected to be completed by Armistice Day 2003.

Regards

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew

Thanks - have been able to get QUEDGELEY in Gloucestershire added to the list as a man I've been researching came from their before emigrating to Australia and serving in the 4th.Batt AEF

Checking the two places that interest me, I find that both are already included on the list of towns and villages commemorated. However, although I have information about Sompting men who emigrated and later died in WW1, I have not been able to positively identify any Lancing men by name. Is it possible to search the Australian archives in any way that will give the names of the men attached to any particular place, already named on the list?

Thanks - Sue

Checking the two places that interest me, I find that both are already included on the list of towns and villages commemorated. However, although I have information about Sompting men who emigrated and later died in WW1, I have not been able to positively identify any Lancing men by name.  Is it possible to search the Australian archives in any way that will give the names of the men attached to any particular place, already named on the list?

Thanks    -      Sue

Hi Sue

While researchers are able to check the place of birth for those Australians in World War Two on the Dept of Veterans Affairs website, unfortunately World War One is another case.

It might be worth contacting the National Archives of Australia or Veterans Affairs directly as there is no way for researchers to check the POB of those in WW1 via their websites, though they may have their own database which they access to find this information out.

Myrtle & Heritage Plus

I'm glad both the towns you have will be on the memorial.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

Thanks - yes I think that I will have to pursue it with the National Archives of Australia. It is interesting that when searching Australian databases on line, and just entering the name of a place in 'Keywords', an entry will come up if the name and address of next of kin [as on CWGC] contains a place name. However, using that method of search doesn't show up the place name if it is just stated in the service records. I have discovered though, searching that way, that the Australian databases do contain details of British casualties, with no connection other than their attachment at time of death. One local man, born and bred in Lancing, a Private in the ASC, with a wife and three sets of twins at home[!], is included purely because of his attachment to 11th Anzac Corps Heavy Artillery when he died.

Thanks again - Sue

• 1 year later...

Hi Andy,

I was at the opening of the memorial on Nov 11 last year. There's a report (with photos) on my website at www.diggertours.com/awmlon.htm

It's really impressive and holds a significant coincidence for me: letters from my hometown, West Wyalong, are used to form the larger words Mont St Quentin, which was a significant battle for men from my district.

Cheers,

Mat