Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mine crater dugouts

PhilB

I came across this photo entitled "A huge mine crater of unknown location, occupied by scarcely visible British troops in dugouts". Could it be anywhere else than La Boisselle? Phil B

post-4-1089556069.jpg

It could also be Y Sap, which because of its proximity to the main road was much better known and used during the war.

Because it is gone today, it tends to be forgotten...

It was Mike Stedman who wrote that book; the photo might be in it, but I don't have my copy to hand.

The Y Sap mine was blown in Mash Valley on 1st July 1916; one of several charges used that day. It was filled in the 1970s, which led to Richard Dunning buying Lochnagar in 1978 to stop the same happening there.

MM`s "First Day on the Somme" says "Then at 7.28am came the other mines, the biggest being the two on either side of the main road at La Boisselle, each with 24t of explosives." Does this mean that the Y-sap mine was twinned with the Lochnager mine? Phil B

Only in the sense that they were blown simultaneously, and worked on by the same Tunnelling Company of the RE, I seem to remember.

Nothing to do with any of it really, just thought I say I really like Paul Reed's signature.

Very moving

Anthony Farrar