Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal index cards

hendrix

Hi

Can anyone tell me what the abbrev SUSWB written on the top of a MIC means? I understand that SWB is Silver War Badge but don't know about SU.

Cheers for any help

If written at the top of the MIC SWB could also be South Wales borderers. Can you tell us theman's name so we can have a look at the context SUSWB is in?

Regards

Steve

He was in the Durham Light Infantry

That rules out South Wales borderers then :whistle:

It says See SWB, there's another Card for his Silver War Badge.

Indexed under Mathew Jackson, Durham Light Infantry A Res CCW, 4/9771 on Ancestry.

Regards

Steve

Steve Thank you very much. I have been trying to find out what SUSWB means for weeks.

Perhaps I should look closer next time.

Just one more thing Where can I find " List 0/345/1" ? that appears on the second MiC.

Sorry for being so thick.

Martin

Just one more thing Where can I find " List 0/345/1" ? that appears on the second MiC.

Sorry for being so thick.

The only stupid question is the one that was never asked.....

It's the reference to his Silver War Badge roll. They're at the National Archives, part of WO329 class of documents.

Try posting the details on the 'Look ups' part of this forum, under the title 'SWB Look-up'. Seems to work for a lot of people hereabouts.

Edit; the SWB roll will tell you the number of the badge that was issued to him, his date of enlistment and date of discharge, it should tell you the last battalion he was serving with, and the date the badge was issued. It should also tell you whether he was discharged due to wounds or sickness.

Martin

That reference relates to a Silver War Badge Roll held at the National Archives under (I believe) the following reference:

WO 329/3137 Infantry (York) list O 1/2-400/1. Silver War Badge 1914-1920

It's not available online and has to be viewed at the National Archives. It may be worth your while posting a request in the "Look-up, Photo and Document requests" sub-forum to see if anyone has a copy of the relevant page.

Regards

Steve

OK thanks for you help Steve and Headgardener, I will try your suggestions.

Cheers Martin

OK thanks for you help Steve and Headgardener, I will try your suggestions.

Cheers Martin