Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RMS Carpathia

Guest Hill 60

Guest Hill 60

This morning, on Ceefax, there was an article about the RMS Carpathia.

Apparently that Saturday (I presume they mean next Saturday) will be the start of an 11 day dive on the ship, that was sunk in 1918, to study it and recover any articles they may find.

According to the report the Carpathia is about 500' underwater, I'm not a diver so i don't know if they'll be using divers or a robotic sub.

Does not R.M.S. Titanic Inc. have the Salvage rights to the wreck.

Bet regards N.S.Regt.

Guest Northumberland

extract From BBC website 10 July 2004

"A team led by a Plymouth diver hopes to bring back the first video footage from the wreck of a ship which rescued more than 700 survivors from the Titanic.

RMS Carpathia, which picked up 705 survivors as the Titanic went down in 1912, was herself sunk six years later by a German U-boat.

Her wreck lies 500ft down in the Atlantic, 300 miles west of Plymouth and 160 miles south-east of Ireland.

Now Richard Stevenson and his 13-man team are to film the wreck.............Divers will only be able to spend a maximum of 24 minutes on the wreck and the ascent and decompression will take more than seven hours, making it one of the most dangerous expeditions carried out."

Hi

N.U.M.A. has already dived and photographed the wreck link here if anyone is interested

Best regards

N.S.Regt.