Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Francis Eyles - RFA 1906-1919

bakerp

Am researching grandfather who served in RFA in India and then France 1914-16, Macedonia 1916-1919 and Russia. Searched online TNA medal record but this only has card for Meritorious Service Medal in Salonika. Would he also have been entitled to 1914-15 Star, War Medal and Victory Medal? If so why no record. Can anyone enlighten me?

Paul

A bit more detail might help other Pals assist with a better answer...

Was he FT Eyles, 98037, a Shoeing Smith?

There is an MIC for 1914-15 Star, entry to France 29 July 1915 then he transferred as 130482, to the RFC .......

That's the only one I found with any RFA connection.

You show him as being in the Army from 1906, was his service only with the RFA?

Curses! Beaten to it and with variations!!

Many thanks for these replies. He joined the South Staffs Volunteer militia in Jan 1905. The attestation papers are endorsed 'Joined RFA 16.1.06'. He is shown in 1911 Census with 91st RFA Battery in Peshawar. I found a medical record for him - Sgt Frank Eyles Reg No 40535 which lists his service in WW1 and eventual medical discharge in May 1919 when he was with 96th Battery RFA. I searched the TNA medal record using his reg no. When downloaded it only shows the Meritorious Service Medal award and nothing else.

Paul

It looks like the card may possibly be missing - the MIC index is generally considered complete but it may not be.

• Admin

There is an mic on Ancestry for Frank Eyles which is listed as 210535 - closer examination shows it is probably 40535 39 RFA a driver and sgt entitled to the 14 Star and BWM and Victory Medal

entered theatre 16th August 1914.

The Ancestry link is here http://search.ancest...rc=&pid=1399833

you can access it at your library or via the free trial - alternatively send me a pm but I won't be able to respond until Monday. Forum Rules do not allow me to post the card here.

I can send the roll number but that's about all there is on the card

Ken

EDIT Just remembered you can't use email facility until you have 5 (or is it 10?) posts - and of course you can't access the above link without a subscription - sorrywacko.gif

Edited by kenf48

39th Battery were with 96th Battery and 131st Battery in 19th Brigade R.F.A, 27th Division in Salonika. So it all fits.

I have photographed parts of the War Diary for 96th Battery and have a map showing all battery positions in Sept. 1918.

Ken

Thank you for the follow up and references - very much appreciated; I can look these up for myself. This is definitely him - his Casualty Form is endorsed across the top "With Exp. Force 18/8/14-31/1/15". The first entry on the form itself is 12/5/15 when he appears to have been posted from a reserve battery to the 19th Brigade. Then goes on embarked Marseilles 16/1/16 Disembarked Salonica 20/1/16. Embarked Salonica 4/1/19 Disembarked Batoum 10/1/19. This at least solves the question about his medal entitlement. Unfortunately we do not know what happened to his medals when he died so had no idea what he had. Next stop the War Diaries!

Again thanks to all for your help and information.