Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

127th Heavy Battery, RGA 1917

jhancock

Help, please!

I have searched The Long, Long Trail with a view to finding which Division 127th Heavy (Bristol) Battery served with, to no avail (I'm sure it's there, I just can't find it). I am particularly interested in the Battery's whereabouts in February 1917 - my great-uncle, a gunner with this Battery, having died on 28th Feb at No. 3 Stationary Hospital, Rouen. Any other info about this Battery would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Judith

Hi Judith

The unit will not have been part of a division, no heavies were. They were usually attached to a corps and this would usually be for a particular period of time. Unfortunately for the a period near to when you ask I only have VII Corps heavy artillery unit details and the 127th were not with them.

Jim

Aha, that would be where I was going wrong then! Thanks for your help Jim.

If it helps, on 11 Nov 1918, 127 Heavy Battery was with 92 Brigade RGA with the Third Army and were manned with 60 pounder guns. It is likely they changed Brigade during the war but probable that they remained with the Third Army.

It is often worth checking the CWGC to see if other gunners from this battery were killed at the same time and are buried in the same cemetery which may help.

Mark

Judith

127 Heavy Battery were with 18 Heavy Artillery Group from 2.12.16 to 19.3.17 when they joined 21st Heavy Artillery Group.

TR

Mark and Terry - thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

Kind regards

Judith