Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Highlander's Puttees

Tommy42

I am a reenactor getting my ww1 Gordon Highlander impression together for the big anniversary, and I have heard from most of my buddies over here, that the Highlanders wore the short puttees. Though looking at Original Gordons Photos, the men appear to be wearing Long Puttees. Can anyone help me sort this out?

Thanks!

Jim

post-69076-0-45780600-1310012879.jpg

post-69076-0-21213700-1310012896.jpg

Jim,

It will come down to your personal preference or your reenacting unit concensus. Both are commonly seen.

In the Great War Britain only manufactured one size of puttee. If a Highlander or Kilted unit wanted to shorten the puttee it would be by cutting a long pair down.

I have a uniform set to a Pte Reid of the 11th Res Bn Gordons which has his original shortened puttees (complete with the ends he cut off).

Attached is a picture of a Gordon wearing shortened puttees (not a photo from an active front but a Gordon none the less)--for those who will comment on the Glen not being diced--he is not a Piper--simplified non diced Glens were common issue to Units after 1914.

post-57-0-27847300-1310018123.jpg

I have about 100 photos of Gordons, in most post 1915 they are wearing puttees (as opposed to the earlier gaiters/spats and hose). I have not checked but my impression is that puttees worn "long" are more common than "short" Most of my pictures are "studio" portraits or group shots rather than "in the field" of course but that is my impression.

Chris

Hello Troops,

I have seen a lot of photos of Gordon Highlanders. While both lengths of puttees are evident, I have seen more Gordons with long puttees than in other Highland regiments.

Owain.

I believe that the puttees were of standard length and just worn short, medium or long. When kilted, 'twas easier to wear medium and turn the stocking over the top. That kept the sock cleaner longer than when ankle-wrapped. Hill-walking in Scotland in the forties and fifties we most often wore ankle-wrapped. That was all before Goretex! I admit to no knowledge of the Gordons' dress regs but surmise that much would depend on the work and the day. Antony

Thanks for the help. I think I am going with getting a pair of the Long Puttees.:thumbsup: