Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to identify uniforms

stuannmc

Hi,

I would appreciate help in identifying the following WW1 uniforms.

The gentleman standing is my G Uncle- William Edward Gibson, from Hunslet Leeds area.

I am not sure who the other gentleman is, but I also think he is from the Leeds area.

Many thanks,

Ann

post-13736-0-68212300-1309914602.jpg

post-13736-0-31013400-1309914604.jpg

Hello Ann,

As an opener I would suggest:

1.The left is a mounted cavalry trooper,The cap star looks to me to be Dragoon Guards.

2.The right hand badge is I think a Northumberland Fusilier.

Cheers,

Rob

By golly Wainfleet I think your right, I would never have thought he was ASC, at one stage I thought it was a Coldstream cap star!

Well sorted,

Rob

Was transferred from No.3 Horse Transport Depot, A.S.C. to the Northumberland Fusiliers and renumbered 80462, with whom he was still serving on the 5th May 1920. He had two A.S.C. regimental numbers T/2033 & T/4/250895. Unfortunately the Medal Roll doesn't say which NF Battalion he served with.

Wow!! Thankyou all so very much, I really appreciate your input! I have been searching for quite sometime and without your help, I don't think I would have been able to work it all out.

Could you please tell me how I can get copies of his records? I can't seem to find them on Ancestry.com.uk.

Thanks again.

Apart from their lips the facial features of the two men do not seem to me to be anything like each other. The man in the NF also seems to be substantially younger than the other. Does that fit with the sequence in which the transfer took place?

The shape of the eyes appears very similar in both cases. The man on the left seems to be carrying a bit more weight than the one on the right, but then he is an infantry soldier and one can imagine circumstances in which they might lose some body fat! The photos have been taken in different lights and at different angles, which makes comparison difficult - the lefthand pic is looking up at the subject, the righthand one is looking down.

I'm not saying it's definitely the same man, but I don't think that can be ruled out. The clincher is usually the shape of the ears, but the differences in lighting, angle and distance make that a tough call here.

post-13736-0-07690600-1310259306.jpg

Thanks everyone. I have been trying to work out the identity of the man on the right (in the original post) for a while.I had thought they were the same man, but now have my doubts.

The man on the left(original post) is definately William Edward Gibson, known as Ted. Born 1885, died 1925.

I have attached another photo in which the man on the right(original post) is in. His cap badge isn't too clear, but the rest of his uniform may help. In this new photo he is pictured on the left.

Is the gentleman on the right in the new photo from West Yorkshire Regiment?

Thanks again everyone, hope I haven't confused you.

post-13736-0-07690600-1310259306.jpg

Thanks everyone. I have been trying to work out the identity of the man on the right (in the original post) for a while.I had thought they were the same man, but now have my doubts.

The man on the left(original post) is definately William Edward Gibson, known as Ted. Born 1885, died 1925.

I have attached another photo in which the man on the right(original post) is in. His cap badge isn't too clear, but the rest of his uniform may help. In this new photo he is pictured on the left.

Is the gentleman on the right in the new photo from West Yorkshire Regiment?

Thanks again everyone, hope I haven't confused you.

Ann, the badge on the left as you look is the King's Own (Yorkshire) Light Infantry and the badge at centre is the King's (Liverpool) Regiment. The two men look like brothers to me, as there is a distinct family resemblance. If one of them is the same as the man in the Northumberland Fusiliers in your first post then it is possible that he was transferred from the KOYLI as a result of wounds, recovery in 'Blighty', and then subsequent posting to a unit back at the 'Front' in dire need of men. Returning wounded always passed through the Infantry Base Depot at Etaples and were frequently re-routed to a unit that had suffered casualties, rather than the regiment that they had originally come from.

post-599-0-02076100-1310291689.jpg

and KOYLI

post-599-0-03461200-1310291724.jpg

Thankyou very much Frogsmile. I had always thought it was the West Yorkshire Regt. There is no doubt it is the Kings Regt after looking at the images you posted. Thanks for clearing that one up for me.