Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMY Helga

Guest woodyudet

Guest woodyudet

Does anyone have any information about HMY Helga?

I've consulted my Janes Fighting Ships 1914-1918 but cannot find it listed. I believe this is because HMY Helga was a fisheries protection vessel taken into admiralty service during WW1.

Helga took part in the supression of the easter rising and i believe 1 of her guns [a 1 pdr ?] was removed and mounted on a lorry as an SPG.

If anyone has any information or photos re. this vessel, i would be extremely grateful.

many thanks,

cheers,

woody

Woody

HELGA was armed with a 3 pounder gun used by the British to shell central Dublin during Easter Week 1916.

Following the Treaty in 1922 the United Kingdom retained control over Irish waters. The Irish Government had responsibility to police fisheries and customs. To this end the Coastal and Marine Service was set up in 1923.

Although the Service was disbanded in 1924 unarmed and renamed MURICHU she continued fishery protection duties for the Department of Fisheries patrolling the three miles of Irish territorial waters.

In 1936 the MURICHU was armed to make her more effective on patrols. She was transferred to the Irish Navy in 1939.

Dave

Guest woodyudet

Dave,

thanks for the info. I was under the impression that Helga also had a 1 pdr that was removed during the rising and used on a truck as a self-propelled gun?

Do you know of any documents that I could refer to that have the information you related?

many thanks for your help,

cheers,

woody

Woody

The info I provided was from the Irish Naval Association web site.

You may find documentation on the Helga at the Irish Military Archives at Cathal Brugha Barracks, Lower Rathmines Road, Dublin 6.

Dave

Guest woodyudet

Dave,

thanks for this. Looking at the CWGC his date of death is listed prior to the easter rising. The 1916 rebellion handbook does list 1 KIA from the naval list - R Glaister , but doesn't say whether he was on board a ship or not.