Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No, Its a Scottish capbadge on a glengarry, and I would suggest its a Cameron Highlander.

Rob

Sorry Mike, that was rude and abrupt of me, but it's still a Cameron Cap badge.

R

Sorry Mike, that was rude and abrupt of me, but it's still a Cameron Cap badge.

R

Don't worry Rob. I'm thick. Skinned that is. No problem. That's what I was wondering. I thought Cameronian at one point. His name is Fred Taylor, and his family say he served with RE. It kind of looked RE, but I wasn't sure if Scottish RE might have worn the Glengarry. There are a few RE Fred Taylor's, this might narrow it down. They have no number for him.

Cheers Mike

Mike the Sappers (RE) recruited UK wide and wear the RE capbadge even on attachment. Your man might have worked as Infantry support to a Sapper unit, or possibly rebadged because of some specific trade experience gained prior to his call up, like the miners.

All the best,

Rob

Hi,

How old was he and what were his parents names?

Also did he survive the war?

Tom

Thanks for that Rob.

Hi Tom. Will have to speak to them again. I just took a quick photograpgh of the man, amongst a few other items. I will see them soon and ask for more details.

Cheers Mike

I agree with Rob that he is Cameron Highlanders and wearing the usual dark blue glengarry favoured by the regiment.

and uniform.

post-599-0-84809300-1309798952.jpg

post-599-0-70871200-1309799011.jpg

Ok. Thanks for that. I will have a look later, for a Cameron Highlander Fred Taylor, that might also have served in the RE.

Cheers Mike

Interesting. The National Archives shows only four men with the last name Taylor who served both in the Camerons and Royal Engineers -- two Johns, an Andrew and an Archibald.

Interesting. The National Archives shows only four men with the last name Taylor who served both in the Camerons and Royal Engineers -- two Johns, an Andrew and an Archibald.

Matt. Sorry, but received an email last night to say she had given me wrong information, and that he was a Cameron Highlander. Not sure where she got the RE from. Perhaps plucked out of thin air? :rolleyes:

So Fred Taylor, Cameron Highlanders, and she doesn't know if Fred is Alfred, or other. I think there is no point wasting more time on this, until clarity reigns. Sorry about this.

Mike