Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two Oddities

Frajohn

Guest exuser1

A great little nest of finds ,the odd one i belive is French ,also i understand that this type was supplied to the USA as have uncoverd a few of these among USA Army remains around the Champaine area and Chatau Theiiry ect and a few at an American dump from 1918 .Regards

Most are French F1 grenades, but you also have a French Vivien Bessier rifle grenade, at least one British Mills no.5 grenade and what appears to be a British No.35 rifle grenade.

dave

*EDIT* see below

and what appears to be a British No.35 rifle grenade.

No it's not.... its a no.24 mk.II

Dave

No it's not.... its a no.24 mk.II

Dave

Correct! And very rare. They were only in use for about 3 months before the No 35 came in.

John

I thought of suggesting that they actually are special cast-iron camp-fire briquets made for providing a hearth for family picnic camp-fires, but in light of the strong reaction to the recent Stokes mortar bomb spoof, I decided to not make that suggestion.

Seriously, quite a heap of ordinance. Can we assume that it is a pile of explosives heaped up by the disposal teams that still ply the old battlefields in France, prior to professional disposal? Or some free-lance effort by a French farmer?

Bob Lembke

Seriously, quite a heap of ordinance. Can we assume that it is a pile of explosives heaped up by the disposal teams that still ply the old battlefields in France, prior to professional disposal? Or some free-lance effort by a French farmer?

Bob Lembke

Bob

The French farmers on the Somme and elsewhere normally walk the fields after the plough (plow) has been at work and they move all the uncovered iron to the side of the field for collection. I've seen a few heaps like this in my time. When the heap is worth collecting they phone the EOD teams and they come along (in time) and remove it. There were photos on this forum of a very impressive mixed collection of British and German grenades and shells from 'Mouquet Farm' a while ago. As the ploughs work deeper this stuff comes up all the time. Many farmers place these heaps in slightly hidden places as tourists tend to pick up souvenirs all the time.

John

Yes, I have seen similar near Thiepval and Mametz. But it still scares me that the farmers pick them up! If I am in a field I will move any large and obviously inert material to the side for the farmer. If I find a grenade or mortar I tend to stick a stick in by it so that others do not stand on it and in the hope that someone will deal with it!

Chris

Hi

Thank you for all of the replies and information.

Can we assume that it is a pile of explosives heaped up by the disposal teams that still ply the old battlefields in France, prior to professional disposal? Or some free-lance effort by a French farmer?

Bob, both of these suggestions are incorrect, as you see below we have a well trained ordnance fetcher!!

5903999769_c2018c63bb_b.jpg

The 2nd image shows the base of the item in the 1st image

5900053481_3f60aaf374_b.jpg

5900618596_d9b16ea74c_b.jpg

For heaven's sake, did anyone evacuate those ladybugs!

:whistle:

-Daniel